Aldabra in Utah

Aaron23

5 Year Member
Does anyone here have a aldabra that lives ib utah? Just wondering how hard it is to raise one here?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know anything about your weather. In the winter you will need a large insulated heated shed. It's more about having the room and money to support the costs of building and heating a large winter enclosure. This is true for any large tort and in most locations that have colder winters.

Karen S

Poquoson VA
Utah is on a desert like place right? I think it would be fine as long as you had a TON of space and lots of micro-climates in the enclosure. you would need a heated shed like wellington said for the winter or the nights if there gets really cold at night there.

Karen S

Poquoson VA
Utah is on a desert like place right? I think it would be fine as long as you had a TON of space and lots of micro-climates in the enclosure. you would need a heated shed like wellington said for the winter or the nights if there gets really cold at night there.

Ok so doing a bit of research, Madagascar is around where they’re from, and it can get down to the high 40s in colder months, so I’d say around 55° is when they would go to the shed.

Take this with a grain of salt, and if you know I’m wrong please correct me...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Utah is entirely the wrong area for this species. Much too cold in winter, too hot in summer and much too dry all the time. Even here in Socal where we have temps in the 70s and 80s for parts of winter, its not the right environment for them. They need consistent high humidity and warm temps. They come from a tropical island. Ever been to Hawaii or Fiji or Tahiti, or South Florida in summer?

And a shed is nowhere near big enough to house one of these behemoths for an entire cold winter. You'd need a heated, humidified warehouse.

You'd do much better with a tortoise that is better suited to your climate, and easier to house, or hibernate, in winter.

Destben

Kansas
Utah is entirely the wrong area for this species. Much too cold in winter, too hot in summer and much too dry all the time. Even here in Socal where we have temps in the 70s and 80s for parts of winter, its not the right environment for them. They need consistent high humidity and warm temps. They come from a tropical island. Ever been to Hawaii or Fiji or Tahiti, or South Florida in summer?

And a shed is nowhere near big enough to house one of these behemoths for an entire cold winter. You'd need a heated, humidified warehouse.

You'd do much better with a tortoise that is better suited to your climate, and easier to house, or hibernate, in winter.

I would have to agree being from Utah myself. We tend to get all 4 seasons in one day lol. Cold enough for a coat in the morning, jacket by lunch, shorts by early afternoon and then coat again that night lol. Plus I’m sure it’s way to dry for them. I’m from the uintah basin and it’s a complete desert.

Reactions: Tom