Best tortoise for me?

iv77

Hello all I live in Virginia and would like to get a primarily indoor tortoise. I have been looking online but can't seem to find the best fit for me. I am looking for a small, 5 inches or less, adult tortoise that loves to play when you want to but doesn't need constant attention. I was going to get a hermit crab heating pad for it instead of a light because the lights radiate a lot of heat and I want to keep my a/c bills life is this ok? I also don't want to have to deal with water so I don't want a turtle. Also I want one easy to take care of, aka a beginner tortoise.
All help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello all I live in Virginia and would like to get a primarily indoor tortoise. I have been looking online but can't seem to find the best fit for me. I am looking for a small, 5 inches or less, adult tortoise that loves to play when you want to but doesn't need constant attention. I was going to get a hermit crab heating pad for it instead of a light because the lights radiate a lot of heat and I want to keep my a/c bills life is this ok? I also don't want to have to deal with water so I don't want a turtle. Also I want one easy to take care of, aka a beginner tortoise.
All help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

A male russian would be about the right size, but they still need a large enclosure indoors and out. Tortoises don't really "play" with people. Some will tolerate handling to a degree, but they are not cuddly, and safety concerns dictate that they be left in their enclosures and not roaming loose. When housed indoors they need overhead lighting that gives off heat and simulates the warmth of the sun for them to bask. Belly heat with a mat is not the way to go. Many are burned this way and others get sick because they can't get warm enough.

It sounds to me like a tortoise is not the right pet for you. Check out leopard geckos, bearded dragons or blue tongue skinks. Do you like snakes? Several species might fit into your parameter here.

This is what would be involved in caring for a russian. Give these a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Couple of things you said make me think a tortoise might not be right for you. Tortoises don't play, and they really need to be outside, at least in summer. Overhead heat is best, and they have to have UVB. This only comes from overhead. Although they don't need a pond like turtles for swimming, they need water that they can get into.
Good luck. Complete care guides for each type of tortoise can be found in the species specific section.

Rue

Canada
Tortoises are a lot of work. Moreso than I had anticipated, which is fine, because I enjoy the challenge and the learning experience and am in it for the long haul. I also have a fair amount of prior reptile experience.

But...if you want an indoor tortoise, you have to have the proper, expensive, lights and you need to change the bulbs regularly. They need UVB radiation for proper development. A heating pad won't work at all and is generally a bad idea. They need a lot of space, much more than you'd think, because they are so active. A 4' x 8' indoor enclosure is the minimum recommended size for the smallest species. They need access to water and a humid environment.

Tortoises don't love to play. But they are fine on their own for the most part. They do love to eat. So you can engage with them at meal times.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Jodie. Your not looking for a tortoise. They don't play and they need above heat and lighting. If your worried about your A/C bill then a tortoise is not for you, they aren't cheap. Get a cat, much cheaper and will play

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate to be Debby Downer, but a tortoise doesn't fit into the specs you've related.

I am looking for a small, 5 inches or less, adult tortoise that loves to play when you want to but doesn't need constant attention.

Just because a tortoise is small, doesn't mean he won't take up a lot of room. Tortoises are wild animals that haven't gone through years and years of manipulation by man to make it domesticated. They are hard-wired to wander great distances and when confined in small spaces they get pretty stressed and constantly try to escape.

I was going to get a hermit crab heating pad for it instead of a light because the lights radiate a lot of heat and I want to keep my a/c bills life is this ok?

A tortoise needs a UVB light to make sure his shell and bones stay strong. The UVB makes vitamin d3, which works with the calcium to keep the tortoise healthy. There isn't a species of tortoise that can live indoors without a light.

Tortoises are not interactive pets. They want to be left alone. The only thing they look to you for is food.

So, I think you would be better off looking for some other kind of pet. A tortoise just doesn't fit.

iv77

Thank you all, I will definitely consider a different pet with all this new information! Thanks:)!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi iv77, I can definitely understand wanting a pet, a little living creature of your own. Owning a reptile is neither easy nor cheap. Especially at the beginning. There are species that stay smaller but they all need LOTS OF ROOM to roam. I know I had no idea what was involved in it when agreeging to get a RF babies for my daughter. According to google search we were all set and ready to receive those hatchlings but thank God for finding this forum soon after only to find out how much bad information we'd been fed. If you want happy and healthy pets you really need to keep them in right conditions and feed right diet. Creating the right habitat takes space and money and work. Most reptiles HAVE to be kept warm and humid. I am one of those people who feel almost physical pain at the sight of an animal kept in small baren tank or box with no room to walk around, explore, nothing to look at.., how very sad/depressing lives do they have to endure. This is how I imagine what it feels like to be locked up in jail cell. Very, very sad! If you do decide on getting a reptile and making nice size habitat for it, there's a way to keep the heat/humidity from mixing between the habitat and your room air, but again: takes money! Anyway, there's nothing that's "impossible", just how committed are you willing to be to the care of your pet? How much space/money you have for it? And... best of luck to you

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You might try a parrot ? They are interactive , love to play , and don't need difficult housing requirements ! :)

100_6442.jpg

100_6046.jpg

Rue

Canada
I will have to disagree...I have parrots. Love them, but they need large safe spaces, tons of interaction, and may need UVB lighting as well, depending.

I will also add that birds are very messy...it's just part in parcel of their behaviour...so you have to be both tolerant of a big mess, and like cleaning...lots and lots of cleaning. And then there is the noise. The intensity of vocalization varies of course, but I will mention that when my Amazon screeches, we can hear her clear to the barn...which is about 50 meters from the house...lol...

And she screeches quite a bit!

Last edited:

Rue

Canada
Of course you will ! Since it is a holiday , I believe I will take the "high road" and not let your incessant negativity irritate me today ! So have a nice day ! :)

Well, aren't you the pot calling the kettle black. Judgemental much?

Is it a holiday today? I hope it does you good. Have a wonderful day yourself. :rolleyes:

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would suggest a rat. Like little dogs but if you have 2, they keep each other company when u r busy.

They can survive in smaller quarters, eat anything, and can live in a wide range of temperatures without added heat or light.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Ok guys, let's be nice to each other. This is how most conflict/confrontations begin. From miscommunication. Looking from sidelines I don't think Rue intended to upset anyone just for the heck of it. It maybe that she just happens to have some negative experience with keeping parrots and wanted to share it just to give the OP little broader view. Same goes for Speedy, who may just have misread Rue's post's intent. Having tension on the forum makes things uncomfortable for everyone and it's completely unnecessary. We don't know each other well enough to have any reasons to intentionally **** people off, so most of the "pissing off" happens due to miscommunication, so let's work on becoming better, more effective communicators and move on. We all want this same thing: to have a nice, friendly place to come to chit chat about our shared interest. It's fun, it's very relaxing and it benefits our pets bcs we learn to be better pet parents in the process. Let's be a little nicer, little more tolerant, little more accepting, little more loving and forgiving to each other. C'mon guys, life is too short to waste time on getting wrapped up in stuff like that. It takes a whole lot of energy to deal with tension. Bad energy breeds more bad energy. Let's surround ourselves with good "joojoo". Inside and out. Serenity....harmony.... and peace.... Love to ALL❤️ and happy 4th!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can say firsthand that parrots aren't always great pets.
My wife has kept them in the past. One particular one hated men...and myself.
It was a friggin nightmare.
Noisy. Nasty. Destructive.

Reactions: Rue

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

I think you should consider another pet, and good luck!

Please keep us updated.

Rue

Canada
Pearly, you are a lovely person! We can never have enough peace-keepers...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I love rats as pets but it's been years! Very personable.

Reactions: Rue

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ok guys, let's be nice to each other. This is how most conflict/confrontations begin. From miscommunication. Looking from sidelines I don't think Rue intended to upset anyone just for the heck of it. It maybe that she just happens to have some negative experience with keeping parrots and wanted to share it just to give the OP little broader view. Same goes for Speedy, who may just have misread Rue's post's intent. Having tension on the forum makes things uncomfortable for everyone and it's completely unnecessary. We don't know each other well enough to have any reasons to intentionally **** people off, so most of the "pissing off" happens due to miscommunication, so let's work on becoming better, more effective communicators and move on. We all want this same thing: to have a nice, friendly place to come to chit chat about our shared interest. It's fun, it's very relaxing and it benefits our pets bcs we learn to be better pet parents in the process. Let's be a little nicer, little more tolerant, little more accepting, little more loving and forgiving to each other. C'mon guys, life is too short to waste time on getting wrapped up in stuff like that. It takes a whole lot of energy to deal with tension. Bad energy breeds more bad energy. Let's surround ourselves with good "joojoo". Inside and out. Serenity....harmony.... and peace.... Love to ALL❤️ and happy 4th!
That is so........SWEET of you Pearly!