Best Tips?

seiff

So far... The terra cotta pot base for a water dish and the cuttlebone. I'm pretty sure Tom's responsible for the dish... I keep 2 in their enclosure that are a perfect size to soak, one usually stays clean... smart torts!

Threw the cuttle bone in yesterday... they both have munched on it several times already. It's like magic!

What's your best tips, secrets and tricks?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I bet a lot of people can go on and on about their creative ideas! I can't wait to hear. :)

Of few others and I have used raised garden beds as indoor enclosures, if that counts!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The cuttle bones are funny. They will be devoured and then one day completely ignored for months. Every now and then my torts will eat rocks and chunks of coral rock from the yard if I forget to give them one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't take credit for the terra cotta saucers. I just repeated what I learned from another tortoise keeper.

My biggest tip: Use a closed chamber instead of an open topped enclosure. They are so much more energy efficient and it makes maintaining any conditions you want super easy.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Put the light on a timer. They are so cheap at any hardware store. Then even if your hours are irregular, the lights go on and off on time.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Put a sponge in the top of the hide to raise the humidity. One of the first suggestions I read when I joined the Forum. Worked great.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have no contribution at this time but I have to admit that I learn something new here everyday!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
More tips:
1. Better to make your enclosure too large rather than too small.
2. Don't let your tortoise roam loose on the floor. So many die or get injured that way. So preventable.
3. Feed weeds and leaves, not so much lettuce and grocery store greens.
4. Keep your tortoise hydrated. Soak as needed and make sure you have a water bowl that your tortoise is comfortable with.
5. Normal indoor low humidity in a dry enclosure is not good for ANY species at ANY size.
6. Don't buy a baby tortoise from someone who does not start them correctly. In many of these cases, nothing can save these ticking time bombs.
7. Be wary of advice from someone who has never kept the species in question and has never done what they are telling you to do.
8. Don't make the mistake of listening to most pet store people or vets. There are some notable exceptions out there that are fantastic, but most vets and pet store employees don't know diddly squat about tortoises or their proper care. There is no "Tortoise Husbandry" class in vet school. Look for actual hands on experience based advice. We have several vets on this forum that know all about tortoise and their care, because they actually keep tortoises and care for them.

Oh, I could just go on and on...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Got to agree with the timer, it's so much better for the light cycles!
There are a few! :(
My tip is not buy substrate at petstores... If you have one around, always check at garden and hardware centers for bulk mulch and coir.