Best Thermostat?

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Hi everyone,

I have completed the primary function of Squash's enclosure and I am addressing temperature / humidity needs. I believe I need a thermostat so that 1) I save energy and 2) I don't burn the enclosure down / my apartment / the tortoise. Can anyone make any good recommendations as to which thermostats will read the temperature and activate the CHE when the enclosure needs to be warmer? And then shut it off when it reaches the desired temperature? Or general recommendations for thermoregulation.

Thanks!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Herpstat 1
Fairly easy to program. You plug the CHE into the back of the unit and the probe is placed in the enclosure to monitor the temp. Not cheap. About 200$.
This is what I use for my incubators.

destortoise

VA and WA
Herpstat 1
Fairly easy to program. You plug the CHE into the back of the unit and the probe is placed in the enclosure to monitor the temp. Not cheap. About 200$.
This is what I use for my incubators.

That is quite a bit. I will look into that for the future, but there's got to be less expensive thermostats out there! :eek::eek::eek:

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
There are thermostats on Amazon for around $30 that will do what you need. Hydrofarm "jumpstart" for example. I use Rancos for around $80 and Helix (for more money) for my incubator.

destortoise

VA and WA
There are thermostats on Amazon for around $30 that will do what you need. Hydrofarm "jumpstart" for example. I use Rancos for around $80 and Helix (for more money) for my incubator.

Thank you! I am getting the hydrofarm thermostat--I hope it is okay to use with CHE's / heat bulbs. Q&A in the Amazon reviews says it's okay so i'm going for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I am getting the hydrofarm thermostat--I hope it is okay to use with CHE's / heat bulbs. Q&A in the Amazon reviews says it's okay so i'm going for it.

The hydro farm is rated to 1000 watts, so it should handle your job just fine. I use the Zilla ones from LLLReptile too.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
I have heard of a wireless one, where the readout can be kept inside the home for an enclosure outside within close distance. I can't find any like this, though. Anyone?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have heard of a wireless one, where the readout can be kept inside the home for an enclosure outside within close distance. I can't find any like this, though. Anyone?

You are talking about digital wireless thermometers. You can find them in the garden center at Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart.

This thread is about thermostats that turn the heating elements on or off to maintain an ambient temperature automatically.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
Yes, will the digital wireless thermometers not do that or am I needing two... one for monitoring and one to self regulate the space?

M

Maggie Cummings

I looked at those digital ones today in Home Depot $100. Thanks, for that I'll well, never mind. Too much money for me.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
Yeah, I'm ok with spending the money on the regulating ones... but, I'll just go check the thermostat for that money. So, I already have a thermostat/humidity reader. I guess I would want this kind that regulates automatically, as well? I am in Phoenix and it does vary a lot, especially at certain times of the year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, I'm ok with spending the money on the regulating ones... but, I'll just go check the thermostat for that money. So, I already have a thermostat/humidity reader. I guess I would want this kind that regulates automatically, as well? I am in Phoenix and it does vary a lot, especially at certain times of the year.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your words, but it seems like you are confusing what a thermo-stat and a thermo-meter do. These are two separate things with different functions. You need both. One is about $20 and the other is about $30-35 for the cheaper models. I'm not sure what Maggie saw for $100.

Thermometers simply tell us the temperature. They have some models available with a remote wireless probe. Other models also include a hygrometer which tells us the humidity at the location of the probe as well. I believe this is what you were referring to above when you said "I have heard of a wireless one, where the readout can be kept inside the home for an enclosure outside within close distance." Thermometers do not change or adjust the temperature. They just report it.

Thermostats are devices designed to turn the power to a heating element, or elements, on or off depending on temperature. They don't tell us what the temperature is. They just turn on if the temperature drops below a set point, and turn off when the temperature rises above the set point.

Again, I beg your pardon if I'm telling you something you already know here, but it seems like there might be some confusion.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
Sorry for not being clear. The wireless one I was inquiring about was a thermometer. Although, by reading about these thermostats, the issue is solved. I have a thermometer with humidity and temp readings now. I just ordered the Inkbird ITC-306T thermostat to control the enclosure. It's plug and play, if you will... so, looked a little easier for my application. It was about $40 on Amazon.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Sorry for not being clear. The wireless one I was inquiring about was a thermometer. Although, by reading about these thermostats, the issue is solved. I have a thermometer with humidity and temp readings now. I just ordered the Inkbird ITC-306T thermostat to control the enclosure. It's plug and play, if you will... so, looked a little easier for my application. It was about $40 on Amazon.
How do you like the Inkbird? I need to replace my thermostats, they are too unreliable due to the usage of the dial and not a digital display.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
It just came and I haven't had a chance to inpret the instructions yet... I'll report back once I do. What is ideal for a big Sulcata temp wise? I'm seeing 72-80. She's not used to a heated space, so probably lower is better to acclimate her?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
It just came and I haven't had a chance to inpret the instructions yet... I'll report back once I do. What is ideal for a big Sulcata temp wise? I'm seeing 72-80. She's not used to a heated space, so probably lower is better to acclimate her?
Ok cool, thanks. From what I understand, as long as there is moderate to high humidity the temp should never go below 80 or you could risk respiratory infection.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I like 80 for sulcatas. In winter when daytime temps are not going to warm up, I set my thermostats for 85-86. In summer when the days will all be near 100, I set my thermostats for 70-75, and they frequently don't even turn on for days at a time.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
How do you like the Inkbird? I need to replace my thermostats, they are too unreliable due to the usage of the dial and not a digital display.
The Inkbird is working out well. It did go to an ERR (error) mode for some reason, but when I unplugged it for a minute and replugged it it was fine. Kept the settings, too. Vet was just out and confirmed he is a boy and is 144 pounds, in great health.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
The Inkbird is working out well. It did go to an ERR (error) mode for some reason, but when I unplugged it for a minute and replugged it it was fine. Kept the settings, too. Vet was just out and confirmed he is a boy and is 144 pounds, in great health.
Great! Thanks for letting me know. Glad to hear your tort is doing well!