Best regular food choices

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
Hi, my tortoise is 9 month old and is a really good eater as long its green and leafy. Are there any greens safe to eat daily? And any ideas to get him eating in colour? Hes definitely male and Marginated breed. Thanks everyone In advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, my tortoise is 9 month old and is a really good eater as long its green and leafy. Are there any greens safe to eat daily? And any ideas to get him eating in colour? Hes definitely male and Marginated breed. Thanks everyone In advance
A wide variety of broad leaf weeds is best.

How do you know he's male at 9 months old?

Here is the care info. There is practical diet info in the care sheet:

He looks too dry and those pellets are not a good substrate.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury

He has plenty of water, bathed everyday, very active, the pellets are from a tortoise site,

He

How does he look dry? he eats well, is bathed daily, is very active and the substrate i buy is from the breeder I recieved him from. Those pictures are from when I got him 2 months since, just posted them so u could see the species, I will try post some recent ones.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
He has plenty of water, bathed everyday, very active, the pellets are from a tortoise site,

He

How does he look dry? he eats well, is bathed daily, is very active and the substrate i buy is from the breeder I recieved him from. Those pictures are from when I got him 2 months since, just posted them so u could see the species, I will try post some recent ones.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
If anyone else has any favourite or nutritional foods for juvenile tortoises be greatly appreciated x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When do you sex your tortoises tom? I'm no expert but can defo see my little ones a mister. Still love any advice you can give ?
Most of the care info given for tortoises is wrong. Those pellets are not a suitable torotise substrate., especially for a growing baby. They need something that can be kept damp to maintain some ambient humidity, and also to allow them to dig in and create little humid micro climates.

I hatch 100's of baby tortoises a year and I cannot tell their sexes at 9 months old. If you know how to tell, I would like to learn.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I start of all of my torts with a shell sized handful of greens everyday, then add from there.

My Russians get kibble and butternut squash a couple of times a week.

My omnivores (a Redfoot, an MEP, and a Hingeback) get some mango and papaya and butternut squash and kibble and a small portion of animal protein a few times a week.

From there, I add stuff as it is available to increase variety.

Jamie

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Are you in Dewsbury. UK?
The caresheet will suggest some food items but www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to tort safe foods.
There are plenty of weeds about now such as dandies. ribwort and broadleaf plantains, sowthistle, clover to name a few -the above website will help you ID plants that are safe or not. Make sure you pick them from chemical and fume free areas and always wash them before feeding.
There is still a lot of old advice being given by pet shops/suppliers, some breeders and even vets who rarely know about tort care but are happy to make a profit; the caresheet Tom linked is the most up to date you'll find and based on decades of experience. That will also advise you about substrate.
Pellets and hay etc are too dry and go mouldy, then the spores can cause problems if inhaled so there are far better options available.
Most torts can't be sexed until they are much older than 9 months - approx. 4 - 6 years I think. If you have a male you will definitely know it because he will be happily flashing his penis which is quite shocking sight when you first see it! Looks like an alien escaping from his cloaca!
If your tort is doing that then he could possibly be older than you have been led to believe.
Anyway have a good read of the caresheet and please ask as many questions as you like.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Hi and welcome.
Are you in Dewsbury. UK?
The caresheet will suggest some food items but www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to tort safe foods.
There are plenty of weeds about now such as dandies. ribwort and broadleaf plantains, sowthistle, clover to name a few -the above website will help you ID plants that are safe or not. Make sure you pick them from chemical and fume free areas and always wash them before feeding.
There is still a lot of old advice being given by pet shops/suppliers, some breeders and even vets who rarely know about tort care but are happy to make a profit; the caresheet Tom linked is the most up to date you'll find and based on decades of experience. That will also advise you about substrate.
Pellets and hay etc are too dry and go mouldy, then the spores can cause problems if inhaled so there are far better options available.
Most torts can't be sexed until they are much older than 9 months - approx. 4 - 6 years I think. If you have a male you will definitely know it because he will be happily flashing his penis which is quite shocking sight when you first see it! Looks like an alien escaping from his cloaca!
If your tort is doing that then he could possibly be older than you have been led to believe.
Anyway have a good read of the caresheet and please ask as many questions as you like.
Thankyou for all your advice most appreciated guys ?

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Hi and welcome.
Are you in Dewsbury. UK?
Hes only creme egg size at minute, and I have the papers that he was hatched between 2 to 6 August, however he fights his own shadow and is trying hump his pebbles bless lol. He/she brilliant character, just like to make sure there getting the best of everything.
Thankyou all