Best live plants?

Buddytheboxie

I just recently adopted what i believe to be an eastern 3 toed box turtle. i just upgraded his tank from a 30 gallon long tank to a 55/60 gallon tank. i gave him a ton of dirt, a basking playform rock thing and a log he can hide under. i want to add some plants in his tank. i prefer live edible plants for him. any ideas or suggestions? his tank looks super bare and i want to make him very comfortable and healthy.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello @Buddytheboxie and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

Would you please post pics of your tort as well as his enclosure? ;)

Where do you live and what's the weather like now? If it's cold, then make sure your tort is warm enough, keeping in mind that these cute little animals are cold-blooded. :)

Buddytheboxie

Sadly i am on my phone and can't figure out how to upload the picture. once i figure it out i will add a picture.
But it is an indoor tank, but i live in Illinois.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, it IS a three toe, Terrapene carolina triunguis, but drop the "eastern". That's a totally different turtle and probably protected in Illinois.

Looks like someone recently clipped his nails. Good job. You can take more off in another week or so. They're still a bit long. He's a fine-looking turtle and I'll bet during breeding season his eyes get bright red.

Violets, violas, pansies, hosta, baby rose of sharon plantlets. . .the list is endless. You can also use fake plants.

Buddytheboxie

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, it IS a three toe, Terrapene carolina triunguis, but drop the "eastern". That's a totally different turtle and probably protected in Illinois.

Looks like someone recently clipped his nails. Good job. You can take more off in another week or so. They're still a bit long. He's a fine-looking turtle and I'll bet during breeding season his eyes get bright red.

Violets, violas, pansies, hosta, baby rose of sharon plantlets. . .the list is endless. You can also use fake plants.

Yeah i recently took him to get his beak and nails trimmed because they were wild. i will definitely drop the eastern!
There are sometimes of the year that his eyes get a crazy dark red! haha i was thinking of using fake plants but i wanted him to eat from some of the plants and smell them. i had basil in his tank before i out dirt in his tank and he destroyed the poor plant. :( but now that i have dirt in there i am hoping he wont kill the plants again haha