best hut

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claireabbo

what is everyones opinion on what is the best humid hut for my tort? i want to change mine. its really large and it takes up alot of space and he barley uses it. any ideas? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My favorite is a half a flower pot (cut in half lengthwise). But I also use large PVC pipe cut in half lengthwise.

C

Claireabbo

thats a good idea! i have thought about the flower pot but never the pipe! hmm..... :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They all seem to like fairly tight spaces. Put a plant next to it in a heavy pot submerged in substrate too (still might not last)?
Also, figure out where they like to burrow and sleep for the night and try putting the hide there. If you try a couple different kinds of hides, you might finally find one that pleases them. Torts have very strong preferences, lol!

C

Claireabbo

yeah i got some flower pots today i hope he will like it! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Try partially burying it and piling substrate inside and on either side (make sure it is not an escape route).

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
A plastic "shoebox" container also works well. Just cut a hole in the side.It holds moisture very well and is easy to clean.

C

Claireabbo

thats what i was using but he didnt like it very much. hehe

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
For smaller tortoises I like these.

Here is where I first saw them used as hides; there are lots of good ideas in the older threads.

C

Claireabbo

hmmm.... thats really interesting. :) where do you get those plastic redish things?

Status
Not open for further replies.