Best diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin33

5 Year Member
Hi there was is the best diet for my two marginated tortoises?

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
The best diet is a varied diet.
Try to feed as many natural food items as you can grow, rather the store bought items:)

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Are you planning on letting your tortoise outside or indoors?
If your letting them outside let him graze and lay out a few veggies/lettuce on the grass

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Found this online :

In the wild Testudo Marginata have a very varied diet, consuming many different weeds and wild flowers everyday. It is fairly easy to replicate such a diet in a captive situation with a little research into edible weeds and plants (The Shelled Warriors edible weed section is a good place to start). Some weeds and flowers which can be included in a Marginated tortoises diet are: Dandelion, Bitter cress, Sow Thistle, Vetch, Clover, Dead nettle, Plantain Evening primrose, Hibiscus, Lavatera and Pansies. This is only a brief summary, there are many other weeds and flowers that can be included, as previously mentioned a little research to familiarise yourself with the various edible plants is all that is needed to create a healthy balanced diet. Marginated tortoises are well known for being partial to snails. I have observed them actively hunting for snails when outdoors. I never supplemented the diet by feeding them snails, but if they chose to find them I allow them to eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.