Best diet and substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

vam1423

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,
Yesterday I acquired a sulcata tortoise. He is still very small only 4oz. I've done my research, but I would love any advice you guys can give me.

vam1423

5 Year Member
Best diet

Before I got my sulcata tortoise I did a lot of research but everywhere you look on-line or read in books tells me a different diet is best. From personal experience what do you guys feel is the best diet to give him? he is still very small just 4oz. Also how often should I feed him?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
RE: brand new sulcata owner

I hope part of your homework included reading Tom's threads on sulcata care. For now, I must say your baby is very small and needs a warm enclosure of no less than 80 degrees. He should have humidity of about 80% at all times. So, remember, warm and humid. Feed him all types of greens, weeds, if you can get them from outside, hibiscus flowers and leaves (most just love it). Any questions, just get back to us.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.

Congratulations on your new baby! And you really need to read Tom's threads. Make sure if you feed plants from outdoors, that they are chemical free. I hope you have a great time, as I have, raising your new baby!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Congratulations on your new addition...agreed...please follow Toms threads. There are great tips on your raising a healthy baby sulcata. Below my signature you will find those threads. Just keep in mind a few things...humidity, warmth, good diet, exercise, and plenty of natural sunshine...good luck. And dont hesitate to ask questions. Lots of us here have sulcatas.....

vam1423

5 Year Member
RE: Best diet

Thank everyone:) yea I read toms threads already he gave me a lot of advice. What do you guys use for your substrate?

vam1423

5 Year Member
Best kind of substate for sulcata's

Hey everyone,
I've done my research and I know what types of substrate are bad for them, but I can't find anything on what the best substrate is any ideas?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
RE: Best kind of substate for sulcata's

Most of the people here seem to use a coco coir it hold moisture well and isn't bad if it gets eaten. . . I use eco earth plantation soil which is a coconut fiber substrate that is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.