Bell’s hingeback question

Rae

10 Year Member!
Hello all! We have a Bell’s hingeback that we’ve had since March 2000. Her age is unknown—she was already adult size when we got her. Last night she laid a clutch of eggs. She’s had no contact with a male the whole time we’ve had her, so they’re not fertile, of course. But is this normal? A random clutch without breeding and at her age? We were quite surprised to see them!

Thanks in advance! :)

AC2CD348-3247-42F3-A044-CCBCA259C4DE.jpeg

Changa

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
Hello all! We have a Bell’s hingeback that we’ve had since March 2000. Her age is unknown—she was already adult size when we got her. Last night she laid a clutch of eggs. She’s had no contact with a male the whole time we’ve had her, so they’re not fertile, of course. But is this normal? A random clutch without breeding and at her age? We were quite surprised to see them!

I bet u guys were surprised!
I am new to to this life of tortoises
I am learning I wish u guys well and on this forum u will get HELP

Reactions: Rae

Rae

10 Year Member!
I bet u guys were surprised!
I am new to to this life of tortoises
I am learning I wish u guys well and on this forum u will get HELP
Thank you!

Now, after some research, I think she is actually a nogueyi, not a belliana. Still learning with this girl. :D

Changa

Ca
Thank you!

Now, after some research, I think she is actually a nogueyi, not a belliana. Still learning with this girl. :D
U think u know about these creatures u read or someone have new information we learning something new

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

How come your information says "New Member" and also "10 Year Member"? Can't be both, eh?
Your tortoise is beautiful, I love the hingebacks. Not an expert, so someone else will offer their advice or comments on the egg laying.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
How come your information says "New Member" and also "10 Year Member"? Can't be both, eh?
Your tortoise is beautiful, I love the hingebacks. Not an expert, so someone else will offer their advice or comments on the egg laying.

Your member title changes depending on how many total messages you have.

Rae

10 Year Member!
I joined back in 2008 and lurked, I think. Have apparently never posted. LOL :p

Rae

10 Year Member!
Are you going to incubate and try just in case? Parthenogenesis or long delayed laying?
After 18+ years is it even possible?

I have an incubator and would be willing to try, just didn’t think it’d be possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The "new member" I.D. is triggered by how many posts a person has made.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I have an incubator and would be willing to try, just didn’t think it’d be possible.
Females can store sperm for several years, but I think 18 would be stretching it a might.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

View attachment 255744

That is great. This kind if event, even though they are likely not fertile indicates you are providing a reasonably good diet and enclosure climate. Good job. Hinge-backs are cool.

Your avatar box does not indicate where you are, but maybe you could find a date for your tortoise.

Rae

10 Year Member!
I’m in Arkansas, but we’re honestly not really looking to breed her. Just really afraid of something going wrong.

Also, we’ve read they live 20-25 years in captivity; how true is that? Here we’re thinking she’s an old lady and she lays her first clutch of eggs lol

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

Honestly do not know but why throw them out and not even try? After all she went to all the trouble and stress of developing and laying them so give her a chance to be a mom again.
Also if she was adult when you got her this is probably not her first laying. If tortoises are kept and well cared for they can live many decades in captivity as they have naturally long lifespans. I have a Redfoot I got as a hatchling in Nov 1974. That's 44 years and not a record by any means.

Last edited: