Rescue Hingeback, Deirdre

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
View attachment 325261

Welcome home, Deirdre!

I drove down to Danbury, CT, to pick up this rescue tort, a hingeback, this morning.

She weighs 1477g and is 19.0 cm in length.

She's got some shell fungus and a pretty funky shell, both likely from sub-standard conditions in her previous life.

While giving her a bath and inspection and rubdown with athlete's foot cream (for the fungus), she laid two eggs, which settled the debate as to her sex.

I put her in her new home with a big handful of fresh dandelion flowers... we'll figure out other foods tomorrow.

View attachment 325262

View attachment 325263

View attachment 325264
Just curious... How do you guys keep finding tortoises to rescue?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I keep checking Craigslist within 200 miles... plenty of russians and sulcatas, a few redfoots and leopards... I enjoyed rescuing those two homeanas and finding them a home with a breeding creep, and would love to do that again.

Jamie

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I keep checking Craigslist within 200 miles... plenty of russians and sulcatas, a few redfoots and leopards... I enjoyed rescuing those two homeanas and finding them a home with a breeding creep, and would love to do that again.

Jamie
I would love to try it but tortoises aren't very popular in AR and even when I find some they over price them. : (