Behavior changes, is it normal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_nanny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
murrieta,ca
:tort: my waddles, for the past almost 2 weeks has been eating very little, piro she was killing her food. Yes I have her proper care food diet sheet.
She eats "natural grassland tortoise food" pellets I alternate her vitamins as instructed. But lately its a few bites and then shes sleeping..... I've been watching her and talking to her "waddles you need to eat". I put her outside to graze and walk and do what turtles do, but I keep finding her passed out sleeping someone where.
where as before she would be roaming non stop, a nap here and a nap there. Is she growing? I know that she doesn't hibernate. I'm worried, I need some help, is this normal :(

Pumi_theturtle

5 Year Member
Oh dear! I'm so sorry I don't know much on their behavior but I would try to message some of the people with lots of knowledge!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
It sounds like waddles might be a bit sick.
How long does she stay inside every day, and whats your setup inside?

turtle_nanny

5 Year Member
murrieta,ca
waddles size 7in long and 8in wide maybe 2.5 to 3lbs, and her cage is called "tortoise house". when shes out side, I have an "L" shaped backyard some grass dirt rocks normal. shes inside only when its too cool. lately its been nice, but when I put her outside she roams for a bit than shes asleep. shes only in her cage for maybe 2 or 3 hours in the am after she wakes up. what is confusing me is, waddles isn't slow. She still has the same get up and go but just seems very uninterested in food lately and the extra sleep.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Let me understand this.
She is outside for only 2-3 hours in the morning.
The rest of the time she is inside.
If that is the case then I can tell you, with no additional UVB when she's inside, that the reason she is lazy and not hungry is that her metabolism is slow due to the lack of sunlight.
I think what you are referring to as sleeping is waddles trying to sunbathe and warm up.
Leave waddles outside for longer, all day if possible as along as there is a place for her to hide.
I checked the temps of Murrieta California and your day time temps are great. Just put her out in the morning at 10am and leave her out til about 6pm.

Also don't fuss with her, it causes alot of stress, and can lead to illness.

Please read the links under where it says "If you have a sulcata read these". Those links are the work of some very experienced keepers and will help you to understand what waddles needs.

turtle_nanny

5 Year Member
murrieta,ca
sorry if I wasn't clear this is all very new to me. waddles is usually in her cage for a couple hours after she wakes up. lol she sleeps in all the time, she awake about 10 am I feed her and if its nice, she in the backyard all day. depending on the temp tell 5pm. I just called my vet and they mentioned that she may have an upper respiratory infection. if she can't smell her food she won't eat. make sense right?

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
I live in Temecula and the temps are great during the day. Walter loves being in his outside play area but unfortunately can only be out all day on the weekends as he is much too small to be out unsupervised. During the week he gets out a couple hours in the afternoon at lunch and after work.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree that your tort will only be active when it's had chance to bask and warm up properly... and even then only if it is hungry or has some other pressing business. Other than that torts are largely inactive; they don't waste energy. Basking is essential for food digestion as well as to get going.

I reckon Joe needing a good two to three hours basking to get up to full operating speed. Then he'll eat, drink and poop befire gojng back to sleep, bask and digest what he's eaten. If he feels hungry kr there's something pressing to do, like see off the lawnmower, then he will be active again. He's in disgrace this afternoon as the pressing need was house-breaking which he woukd have got away with had he not pooped on the carpet!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are the dimensions of your indoor enclosure and how are you heating it? What is your soaking routine? Does he have a shallow water dish inside and out and does he use them? Does he graze outside? Are those pellets the only thing you offer? Leafy greens ever?

turtle_nanny

5 Year Member
murrieta,ca
waddles enclosure is 2ftx3ft, yes she has heating lamp, one for the day and red for night. her cage says about 80. I soak her about 3 times a week for about 30 mins or longer. She does have a water dish in her enclosure, sometimes I see her in it not often though. She does graze outside. Pellets everyday as well as grape leaves sometimes, she loves carrots and dandelions clovers grapes leaves. I just put her outside about 30 mins ago and shes moving all over the place. I have been doing alot of reading and I just wanna make she I am not missinturpatating this behavior changes. I think its a growth spurt but again not sure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Behavior changes, is it normal???

turtle_nanny said:
waddles enclosure is 2ftx3ft, yes she has heating lamp, one for the day and red for night. her cage says about 80. I soak her about 3 times a week for about 30 mins or longer. She does have a water dish in her enclosure, sometimes I see her in it not often though. She does graze outside. Pellets everyday as well as grape leaves sometimes, she loves carrots and dandelions clovers grapes leaves. I just put her outside about 30 mins ago and shes moving all over the place. I have been doing alot of reading and I just wanna make she I am not missinturpatating this behavior changes. I think its a growth spurt but again not sure.

The enclosure is too small for a tort the size you describe, she needs much more space.

She needs complete darkness at night. The red light often confuses a tort into eating things that aren't food... they love things that are the colour red, they are sweet and juicy and torts aren't dreadfully bright.

Peyton

5 Year Member
My baby tort did the same thing but she/he is better now since I bought the liquid vitamin at pet smart just soak your tort in water and some drops of the liquid vitamin in it for about 30 min for a week your tort should be better
hoped I helped [WINKING FACE]

Calcuta+sage=[HEAVY BLACK HEART]

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
turtle_nanny said:
sorry if I wasn't clear this is all very new to me. waddles is usually in her cage for a couple hours after she wakes up. lol she sleeps in all the time, she awake about 10 am I feed her and if its nice, she in the backyard all day. depending on the temp tell 5pm. I just called my vet and they mentioned that she may have an upper respiratory infection. if she can't smell her food she won't eat. make sense right?

Some good questions have been raised, such as access to water, the size of the indoor enclosure, etc. There are a lot of factors that go into keeping a tortoise healthy, and it very well may have an upper respiratory infection, without actually seeing what you are doing this is all speculative. I would take the tort to the vet, that's the best thing to do. Any vet worth his wage will be able to tell you whats wrong and how to fix it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
she needs a grassy area outside, not dirt and rocks.. they graze,, like shelled cows.. does her nose looks clogged? did she eat any rocks?
she needs a good variety or weeds and greens...

turtle_nanny

5 Year Member
murrieta,ca
she has a large grassy area with weed and grass. I have some rocky areas she likes wslking on them. Her enclosure is gettting small, we are in the process if making a outside enclosure, and just useing her current for sleep. I am going to take her to the vet. I believe I figured out what her problem is. with all the wonderful post on the forum, I've learned a lot. Her cage is lined with green tarp that looks like fake grass. because waddles does like being in the dark she sleeps under her tarp, she also does her business in that tarp, even though I keep her cage very clean. So with everything that ive learned about (URI) I think I caught the signs early. Now to make an apt for the vet. Still learning but very greatful for all the help.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.