[Beginner Question] Makeshift Closed Chamber with Aluminum Foil?

WillB

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
Hi everyone,

First time posting and so happy to have found such a wonderful (and helpful) community of tortoise lovers! Sorry in advance if this question had been answered before! I am in the process of setting up an indoor tortoise closure for my first tortoise hatchling (either Indian Star or Greek Tortoise) in my apartment when everything is set up and prepared. Due to the lack of my craftsmanship, I opted for the penn-plex tortoise palace which seemed to be one of the bigger enclosures for sale online. However, I read that hatchlings benefits greatly from closed chamber environment compared to an open one.

I had an idea of doing what Yvonne in the forum had suggested before to cover the whole top area of the tortoise palace with aluminum foil (or any other material) to simulate a makeshift closed chamber for the hatchling. This would still allow me to open the latch to feed the tortoise everyday. I want to run my idea by everyone here to see the idea makes sense. Any other suggestions or feedbacks on how to create a close chamber environment with the tortoise palace are greatly appreciated!

Tortoise Palace Link for reference:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070RYV42/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I had that enclosure, I would leave the top open, hang lights and heat from the arm that attaches to enclosure and then make a tent from plastic that fits over either the whole thing better way or the opened part and lights.
This gives more room to adjust lights and heat up or down to get it right.

Last edited:

WillB

New York City
Thank you @wellington for the suggestion! I’ll certainly try to see how that would turn out. Would standard thick plastic work?

Thank you Karen!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,

First time posting and so happy to have found such a wonderful (and helpful) community of tortoise lovers! Sorry in advance if this question had been answered before! I am in the process of setting up an indoor tortoise closure for my first tortoise hatchling (either Indian Star or Greek Tortoise) in my apartment when everything is set up and prepared. Due to the lack of my craftsmanship, I opted for the penn-plex tortoise palace which seemed to be one of the bigger enclosures for sale online. However, I read that hatchlings benefits greatly from closed chamber environment compared to an open one.

I had an idea of doing what Yvonne in the forum had suggested before to cover the whole top area of the tortoise palace with aluminum foil (or any other material) to simulate a makeshift closed chamber for the hatchling. This would still allow me to open the latch to feed the tortoise everyday. I want to run my idea by everyone here to see the idea makes sense. Any other suggestions or feedbacks on how to create a close chamber environment with the tortoise palace are greatly appreciated!

Tortoise Palace Link for reference:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070RYV42/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Unfortunately those enclosures are not suitable for any tortoise species at any life stage. All species need damp substate and that will quickly rot the wood and also leak. Babies of any species need a closed chamber. Trying to heat and humidity an open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. It doesn't work. The heat and humidity just drifts up and out in the room to be replaced by colder drier air which you then have to try to heat and humidify. The evaporative cooling effect means you need more electric heat to keep things warm enough, which then dries things out even more, including your tortoise's carapace. Covering the top with foil and having the lights outside the enclosure creates a chimney effect that sucks all the heat and humidity up and out.

A greek tortoise all be more able to handle the dry cooler conditions, but greek babies still need damp substrate and that is still going to rot the wooden enclosure. I would not get any star tortoise species until you can get a proper closed chamber made of expanded PVC material that won't rot when wet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can also line the bottom and sides with plastic to make it water/moisture resistant. The enclosure will only last a few years before it will need to be enlarged. If you can return it and buy a large plastic tote, 50 gallons or larger it will be cheaper and can still be used under the plastic greenhouse effect.

WillB

New York City
Ah darn! Tom your explanation makes sense on the open top enclosures when I think about it. So would you say a pvc enclosure the better and affordable material/choice? Thanks for the explanation for the tortoise choices as it’s certainly a long commitment as an owner!

Wellington thanks for the suggestions , I’m still waiting for the enclosure to arrive. The suggestion is great and I’ll def line the enclosure with plastic to delay the inevitable rotting if I can’t return it… Thank you everyone :)!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ah darn! Tom your explanation makes sense on the open top enclosures when I think about it. So would you say a pvc enclosure the better and affordable material/choice? Thanks for the explanation for the tortoise choices as it’s certainly a long commitment as an owner!
I used to build my own, but the situation now is that is is cheaper to buy one already made than to buy the materials and build it your self. @Markw84 makes one called a "Smart Enclosure" and its the best thing I've ever seen for tortoises. Its cheaper than if you bought all the heating and lighting and materials and spends 40 hours cutting, building, and installing everything. If you get the starter enclosure for a baby, you will be able to add an "expansion pack" relatively cheaply later on when your tortoise gets larger. This would suit and Indian star or smaller greek tortoise for life in your climate.

WillB

New York City
An update, after taking in everyone's suggestion, I lined the enclosure with some clear shower liners. I bought a 3x3x3 greenhouse cover on Amazon which covered 95-98% of the previously open space. With the current set-up I've been able to maintain about 75-83% humidity at the moment which is miles better compared to before! I will most likely expand the front flap to make it easer to maintain the enclosure later on.

The left fixture is a 65 watt flood bulb as the basking bulb and CHE on the right. I tied both clamp lamp with zip ties for extra protection. I am thinking of buying a brooder light lamp for the basking bulb so it can better focus the basking spot...

I have a 5000k t8 led light as the ambient light and the reptizoo t5 ho uvb light next to it for 2-3 hours a day in the afternoon. The enclosure seemed to be very bright when I have both the UVB and ambient light on. Would it be too bright for the hatchling during the period when the UVB light and ambient light are both on??

Let me know if anyone have any other suggestions to the enclosure or setup! I plan to add more plants and a basking stone beneath the basking lamp.

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 13

WillB

New York City
Update on the enclosure 8 month later. I've recently replaced my old cypress mulch with a fresh pack. Since I'll be getting AP enclosures soon in a couple of months (fingers crossed), I decided to have a little fun and replaced a third of the woodchip with coco coir and put a jade plant and an aloe cactus directly in the substrate as well as adding a little bit of the tortoise seed mix from tortoise supply for fun.

So far I liked the new aesthetic as it adds more personality & color to the enclosure albeit my tortoise do get dirtier when I gave him his daily soaks. I may do something similar when the AP cages arrive! Any ideas/suggestions/comments are always welcome!

IMG_2689.jpg

Best,
Will