Before/After TFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
With all the recent talk, I just wanted to show off a little bit of what the great members of TFO have done for me and my tortoise. This is my first tortoise, and this is how he was kept when he first came home

449ea6ed.jpg

This is how he lives after TFO. I believe he is much happier and healthier

a4acb982.jpg

4c37c380.jpg

[video=youtube]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f11cu9uXx8&sns=em [/video]

I would like to thank all the members here for sharing their experience, knowledge and time.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I love the second pic! It looks like he is really enjoying that sun :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you have failed, like everyone else, and your tortoise is miserable and suffering horribly...

BAHhahahaaa HAHAHAAAAAHHAHAHhaaa... I couldn't even get it out with a straight face... :D

Hey your first set up wasn't all that bad...

Laurie, I think you are an EXCELLENT tortoise keeper and your tortoises will reward you with years of enjoyment and good health. Thanks for sharing your awesome pics and video.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Since I love playing Devil's advocate and it's one of those mornings, I hope Laurie will allow me to use her thread to point out something if I may. Also Laurie while I know these points are not true, I am trying to show what a new person might see comparing your two setups okay? I am NOT saying it's true, just basing on what I can see. Understand?

The after TFO pictures show some major lacks to my mind. While I see sunshine with it being very hot right now where I live, I wonder about heat and too much sun. Looks like the only shade will be where the boards block the sun and that is pretty limited. Then there is the hide, but how large is it really? Especially if that is the only real place he has to go to to get out of the sun.

I guess once more especially with all that sunshine, he doesn't need water. :( Atleast in the before TFO days he had a water dish. :rolleyes:

Are you guys understanding what I am saying? A new person to the forum (especially one who has not read the evolution of this enclosure) could think that maybe in this case the tortoise is maybe not so hugely better off then before. Really look at what is in those pictures (or not in them), not what you know she may actually have in that enclosure.

Once more sorry Laurie for using you and your thread as an example. I do honestly think your tortoise is better cared for now then before, but your before wasn't that bad either.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Jacqui,
You are a quite good devil's advocate :).
Even it was in full sun, it is a Horsfield. Those creatures digg a lot and manage to escape direct sun even when no feature is present- I don't suggest not to provide them in your enclosure, since if the ground is too hard to digg, the only way to survive is compromised. In captivity we have to make things easier to compensate the lack of variety in both housing and feeding.
But... some of mines prefer to digg a small hide by themselves, at the base of a small Festuca clump, and use it instead of the shaded corner and hides I provided them!! That on 35*C heat and very dry!
Laurie seems to provide the best for the tortoise- the ground looks diggable but not too sandy, and the hide is also covered, so isolated by the ravages of heat.

And... an indoor enclosure is, in my opinion, for that species, the WORSE situation for longterm. Just for emergencies. Not for keeping a Testudo...

Laurie, what is your location?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My Russians too dig, so I am aware of that trait. One reason why I personally dislike it, when folks put wire under their outdoor enclosures. ;) I can't really think of any tortoise for whom I think permanent indoor living is the best or most ideal situation.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
What a phenomenal job on your part!!! Since you received so much help on this forum I suggest that you have to build us all replicas of your outdoor enclosure. I guess since I came up with the idea I have to go first so I guess I'll take ten of those. ;)

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Eweezyfosheezy said:
What a phenomenal job on your part!!! Since you received so much help on this forum I suggest that you have to build us all replicas of your outdoor enclosure. I guess since I came up with the idea I have to go first so I guess I'll take ten of those. ;)

Lol. :D Can I take one of your 10? Just for a little while?

I think you have done an awesome job. He looks so happy. I actually like his orange furry friend in pic one myself. :D Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Vishnu2 said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

NO!!! I just got a smokin deal off this Cameroon King and I need to put the tortoises somewhere. :D

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Vishnu2 said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

NO!!! I just got a smokin deal off this Cameroon King and I need to put the tortoises somewhere. :D

I just wanted to BORROW one. Sheesh. Greedy. ;)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Vishnu2 said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Vishnu2 said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

I just wanted to BORROW one. Sheesh. Greedy. ;)

:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's the toadstools that complete it. Just makes it perfect.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sad thing is, I have a few of those toadstools too. :D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Thanks for all the positive feedback! Jacqui, next time I will try to get the whole 8'x 8' enclosure with all it's accompiaments in the pics :rolleyes:

CactusVinnie said:
Jacqui,
You are a quite good devil's advocate :).
Even it was in full sun, it is a Horsfield. Those creatures digg a lot and manage to escape direct sun even when no feature is present- I don't suggest not to provide them in your enclosure, since if the ground is too hard to digg, the only way to survive is compromised. In captivity we have to make things easier to compensate the lack of variety in both housing and feeding.
But... some of mines prefer to digg a small hide by themselves, at the base of a small Festuca clump, and use it instead of the shaded corner and hides I provided them!! That on 35*C heat and very dry!
Laurie seems to provide the best for the tortoise- the ground looks diggable but not too sandy, and the hide is also covered, so isolated by the ravages of heat.

And... an indoor enclosure is, in my opinion, for that species, the WORSE situation for longterm. Just for emergencies. Not for keeping a Testudo...

Laurie, what is your location?

I am in Saratoga county New York, it's just north of Albany

Tom said:
It's the toadstools that complete it. Just makes it perfect.

I buy one toadstool everytime I go to Lowes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.