Been keeping a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
sandboa074.jpg

I never really had an interest in sand boas, they look too much like worms to me. But while I was in petsmart, picking up some stuff to make my Dumerils more comfortable, I stopped to look at the reptiles for sale, there in the little cube with a label for a sand boa, nothing could be seen. Of course, it was in the sand. I thought "I see stores have these all the time but never actually "seen" one in person." So I asked my friend who works there to get it out and let me hold it, no intention of buying it, but I fell in love with the chubby little booger. My fiance and I argued back and forth for about an hour, when I said yes he said no and vice versa, we have so many things already, we didn't need to spend money on another snake. My friend there really wanted us to take it though because he knew with us it would have a good home. He showed us the feeding records for it and everything. We already had all we need for it as well. I'm ashamed to admit I've accumulated quite a bit of reptile stuff over the past few years. Anyway, long story short, it is now ours, it is feeding well and just such a chill little guy. Well, girl. Also, that tiny little tongue is going nonstop, so CUTE!

I think I'll call it Freckles. I've been affectionately calling it "wormy"

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
nicoleandrocky said:
CUTE!
I'm not much of a snake person but he's cute!

Thanks, it has the most adorable overbite and teeny tiny little eyes. So chubby and slow, it's quite happy to just sit and hang out with me while I'm on my laptop.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
When I saw my friend again a few days ago, he said I got lucky, they got a new sand boa in and it is "the single most hateful thing" it's very snappy apparently. I've read a few can be snappy. But after the way mine acts, I find it hard to believe. My cute little tubbykins would never bite a people. She's healthy, she eats like a little piggy so I know she's not lazy because she's sick or anything.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Freckles is a good looking one. My oldest son had one and it was rather interesting the way it does the going under the sand thing. Congrats on being smart enough to get him.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
StudentoftheReptile said:
Nice catch. Sand boas are pretty cool. If you have any questions, check out these folks: www.sandboamorphs.com. They're good folks, and were guests on my radio show a couple times.

Oooooh nice, I'll check that out right now.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I've got a rough scaled sand boa and he was quite snippy when I first got him. I've been bit more times by him than all the other snakes I've owned combined. It didn't take long for him to change his tune and become one of the most docile snakes I've ever had, though.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
chairman said:
I've got a rough scaled sand boa and he was quite snippy when I first got him. I've been bit more times by him than all the other snakes I've owned combined. It didn't take long for him to change his tune and become one of the most docile snakes I've ever had, though.

I know colubrids are bad for that, start out as seriously snappy babies, but calm as they get older. I can't believe my snow corn Rufus used to be snappy at all. The only thing I worry about with him is getting pooped on lol. He likes to stretch out on my bed with his butt on my lap and just.... "relax..."

Status
Not open for further replies.