Snake people, I have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Is it normal to hear a large snake breathe? I'm paranoid. And do you think there is any way to try and determine the age of an adult Dumerils boa?
025.jpg

028.jpg
She's at least 6ft, I can not believe how docile she is, very determined to explore but still very calm, strong and hefty as an ox! She's not the least bit head shy and every time I tried to take a picture she stuck her nose in the camera and blurred it all up lol. As soon as I close the lid on the tub she's in she just curls right up and sleeps. She is just beautiful, it's hard to leave her alone but I know she needs time to get settled in. The picture captured her rainbow sheen but didn't do her justice on her beautiful salmon colors, she's almost a redhead like me lol. I just feel like she's special, she's going to be one of those special animals we really grow a bond with. Best. Valentine's. Ever.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Short of shoving the snake's snout right into your earhole (or if you happen to be Kryptonian), you shouldn't be able to hear the snake breath. If you are, then there is the possibility the snake has some form of respiratory infection. Usually this can be corrected by maintaining proper temps, and raising the humidity a little. Another thing is ensuring there is good air circulation in the enclosure. My ratsnake once came down with a slight RI and after discussing it with my vet, it was determined that it may be caused by the fact that his cage was placed in a location that wasn't getting good circulation. I fixed the issue, and the RI cleared up shortly after.
--------
That's a beautiful Dumeril's boa! Kinda like tortoises, it's not easy to determine the exact age of any snake once it's an adult, especially if you don't know the details of its history. The previous owner could have power-fed it and got it up to size in just a few years, or alternatively, it could have been fed sporadically and be several years old. IMHO, at 6 ft, that snake is somewhere between 4-5 years old. Two babies I got in Jan 2008 are now in the 4-5 foot range (on a friend's collection now), so based on that, your female is probably a season older. [shrugs] In any case, she looks good, with nice coloration. Many adult Dums tend to dull out as they mature.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I noticed that some are really dull and dark as adults, I just can't stop googling them lol I got her set up in an exo terra terrarium now, she has a kitten sized litter box as a water bowl, cypress mulch substrate and as soon as her hide box stops stinking of plastic fumes it's going in there too. There's some damp coco coir in the hide. Also I took the liberty of buying that $50 zoo med under tank heater. She curled right up on it as soon as she felt the warm spot, I guess she's warmed up good now because she's exploring. LOL wow she just yawned. Talk about a gaping maw. I bought her a frozen rat today but of course I'm going to let her settle in for a while before even trying to feed her. She's just so beautiful, and with a remarkably red head. I hope a good bump up in temps will knock this RI out. I'm keeping in contact with the seller too. I'm uploading a few pics now.

Think she wanted to soak? lol This is how I found her when I got home from my spoiling spree today, I spent about $265 on her alone.
002-1.jpg

Here's the new setup, that grey box on top will be her hide box once it airs out some, I washed it but it still smells of plastic fumes.
008-1.jpg

She found the hot spot immediately.
007-1.jpg

003.jpg

I know it's kind of small, I kinda can't fit the one that I have through the narrow doorways in this place, I'd have nowhere to put it even if I could. This will do for now, I've read they don't really like a lot of extra space but with a few secure hides maybe it won't be a problem. I don't plan to be here much longer, we're really hoping to move within the next year or two. She seems pretty content and I'm hoping she'll eat in a few days.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Hide box is now in. She's stuffed herself inside it.

Fun fact : See all that clutter in the background of the first pic? That's where she is now lol Those 8 tubs are my little black snakes, My boy Rufus is in his exo terra rainforest setup right beside her, takes up every bit of the top of my dresser.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
She just came out of her hidebox on her own... I guess that's a good sign. Maybe she'll eat when I try to feed her. I'm not going to push it though, she can wait a few days.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Normally you can't hear them breath unles they have a RSI.. It's difficult to determine age on just size as it all depends on the amount of food offered,and it's habitat....beautiful snake through..:D

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Thank you! I'm hoping we can knock this RI out with some bumped up temps and just basically keeping her happy and stress free. But with her coming out of the hide box and just snoozing out in the open, I don't know if that's good or bad.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Make sure you have a thermostat on that heat pad! Those suckers get VERY hot, dangerously so. You wouldn't want your gorgeous gal to get burned! Also, you may be able to get away with that little enclosure for now, but you'll definitely want to upgrade as soon as possible. And you'll want to secure that top. I used to have one of the Exo's for my big corn gal, and noticed one major flaw was that a determined and/or strong snake (like your Dum) could easily pop off the lid. I'm lucky that my corn never bothered trying... But it wouldn't be any security at all if your girl decided to test the lid. Clamping it may work, or put her on a shelving unit with the shelf above close enough that she can't push the lid up enough to crawl out.

She's beautiful. It does sound like she may be developing an RI, but hopefully it clears up soon!!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i hear isis breathe from time to time, mostly just exhales. if it is very loud, or wheezing, rapid, etc that is not normal.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I could hear my ball python breathe sometimes, that's why I ask. She was much smaller than this big girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.