Beef Heart for Redfoot?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have portions of Beef Heart in my freezer that I feed as a treat to my larger fishes. They are in cubes about 3/4 of an inch in diameter.
Can I ad these to Mazuri as an "at hand" source of protein for my Redfoot colony?
I don't see any issues. It's 100% lean and protein. However, I may be overlooking something..........
Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was told many, many, many, many (did I remember to say that it was many years ago?) years ago that one shouldn't feed too much organ meat. It was so long ago that I can't remember why, though.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Heart is just pure muscle. It's not like liver or kidney. I've been told it's good for box turtles, my box turtle liked it.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have portions of Beef Heart in my freezer that I feed as a treat to my larger fishes. They are in cubes about 3/4 of an inch in diameter.
Can I ad these to Mazuri as an "at hand" source of protein for my Redfoot colony?
I don't see any issues. It's 100% lean and protein. However, I may be overlooking something..........
Thank you.

Just so long as you don't overdo either one.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was told many, many, many, many (did I remember to say that it was many years ago?) years ago that one shouldn't feed too much organ meat. It was so long ago that I can't remember why, though.

Another name for organ meat is offal. Offal was thrown into the breeding ponds as food on the Gulf Coast redear slider farms
and was implicated in the original salmonella outbreak in the 70s. That may be one reason you had a negative feeling about it.