bedding material

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaz_John94

5 Year Member
Hi
new to the forum.....we have got a new tortoise approx 6yrs, horsfield. we have a tank for him (?) heat lamp, etc....however we are unsure what we should use on the floor of his tank. When we first got him he had wood chippings, then a pet shop advised sand...however its extremly messy and gets everywhere. he also kicks it in his water and food.
we don't even knoe if he's a male...

:(

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
cypress mulch would work great. also, a mixture of organic top soil and peat moss. i wouldn't recommend sand.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
kaz_John94 said:
Hi
new to the forum.....we have got a new tortoise approx 6yrs, horsfield. we have a tank for him (?) heat lamp, etc....however we are unsure what we should use on the floor of his tank. When we first got him he had wood chippings, then a pet shop advised sand...however its extremly messy and gets everywhere. he also kicks it in his water and food.
we don't even knoe if he's a male...

:(

Welcome and thanks for doing the research and finding this site, it is very helpful.
Check out http://www.russiantortoise.org/ for more information. Most think glass tanks are not a good idea with tortoises. Unfortunately, quite often, pet shops are misinformed...
Also, if you post pics of the undershell, many can help you ID the sex, if possible. There are instructions in uploading pics on the Intro site.
Your tortoise is lucky you are trying to do the right thing!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would take the sand out and cypress mulch is a good, and welcome to the forum..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi kaz_John94 :

Welcome to the forum!!

Is your name John? And may I ask where you are?

I like cypress mulch as bedding (substrate). I also like orchid bark. I never use sand, even in a mixture, but that's just a personal preference. If you can't find cypress mulch at Lowe's or Home Depot, then you can buy it in smaller bags at pet stores. Its called Jungle Bed or Forest Floor.

Is your heat lamp a UVB light? If the tortoise doesn't get any outside time, he'll need a UVB light. The one that I use is an MVB (mercury vapor bulb), which provides heat and UV all in one light. I use the Zoo Med Power Sun (100 watt).

kaz_John94

5 Year Member
Hi Everybody.
and thanks for the advice, common thread amongst the replies....so I think its going to be cypress from now on. When I said tank, its really a vivarium, that we purchased with the tortoise, and lights, that are UVB & heat lamps. The one thing I do, is ensure he gets out into the garden for some sunshine every day ( which can be hard in the North East of England) also check he has a varied diet.
Hi Yvonne, my name is Karen and joined this site for my son who is the rightful owner of the tortoise.

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.