Bedding for hermanns

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
I have a just over a year old Hermann and wondered if orchid bark / reptibark are safe ? I’ve always used just coco coir and sometimes a mix of topsoil which wasn’t good but I’m looking for something else other then coco coir but heard orchid bark or any bark shouldn’t be used as it emits toxic oils under heat

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You heard that wrong. It's not the Orchid or fir bark that can be dangerous and the reptibark is fine also
Cedar is bad and I believe pine.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a just over a year old Hermann and wondered if orchid bark / reptibark are safe ? I’ve always used just coco coir and sometimes a mix of topsoil which wasn’t good but I’m looking for something else other then coco coir but heard orchid bark or any bark shouldn’t be used as it emits toxic oils under heat
If you read the caresheet for Temperate/Mediterranean species it will give you the best options. Pets at Home sells bags of orchid bark but I think they are quite large pieces - I believe there are smaller grades available online.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've been on those FB torts groups, haven't you? Lots of incorrect info there.

Orchid bark is safe, and its my preferred substrate for most species most of the time. I've started 1000's of tiny hatchings of multiple species on it in closed chambers.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You've been on those FB torts groups, haven't you? Lots of incorrect info there.

Orchid bark is safe, and its my preferred substrate for most species most of the time. I've started 1000's of tiny hatchings of multiple species on it in closed chambers.
Hear hear.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire

Orchid bark is safe, and it’s my preferred substrate for most species most of the time. I've started 1000's of tiny hatchings of multiple species on it in closed chambers.
Thank you and yes I have , I no longer am after seeing other incorrect info on there and was banned from one group for saying coco coir is safe

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
I've tried out a few different substrates before finding the best one for my little Herman's. I've settled on forest floor which is also called Cyprus mulch. I've had no issues with it and my little one seems to be very happy with it also..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you and yes I have , I no longer am after seeing other incorrect info on there and was banned from one group for saying coco coir is safe
You are not alone. You are in very good company with that story, as this has happened to LOTS of people.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried out a few different substrates before finding the best one for my little Herman's. I've settled on forest floor which is also called Cyprus mulch. I've had no issues with it and my little one seems to be very happy with it also..
That is the third safe and effective substrate. Thanks for mentioning this. Some people may be able to source cypress mulch easier than orchid bark.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
You are not alone. You are in very good company with that story, as this has happened to LOTS of people.
I’ve heard the same to , I got some forest floor today I’ve attached a picture so hopefully it’s the right stuff and it’s all I could find and she already seems a lot happier

Attachments

• IMG_8053.png
    IMG_8053.png
    884.9 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I’ve heard the same to , I got some forest floor today I’ve attached a picture so hopefully it’s the right stuff and it’s all I could find and she already seems a lot happier
Label states it's a 100% fir bark - that's probably the right thing.
It's not the "Forest Floor" (by ZooMed) mentioned above, which is a cypress mulch. But the fir bark is even better, since it's less messy.