Aspen bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
I use coco coir as a substrate myself, and have used cypress mulch in the past. I've also read that orchid bark is suitable for tortoises, while fir bark and cedar chips are not.

However, a few people here on TFO have said they use aspen bedding as a substrate. I was under the impression that this was a dry substrate, which is why it is used for rodents. I would think that would make it bad for tortoises, but I'm not sure. Is aspen bedding suitable for tortoise enclosures?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I am sure a lot of members will say that it is not.

Another member from Seattle, who used to post a lot, used Aspen exclusively. Her tort had access to water and was soaked and seemed to be thriving. She suggested it to me when my torts were less active last Spring, and I had adjusted for heat, uv, etc, already. I have seen others who set their enclosures up this way as well. You cannot add water to Aspen.

So I use it in a small part of my enclosure, and the torts usually choose to burrow there at night. However, I live in the PNW, not a dry climate in the winter months. Mine are doing well using Aspen in this manner. The main part of the enclosure has coir/cypress/soil.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
EDIT: Lynne posted while I was posting. - and that sounds pretty good, giving the little guys some options and let them pick what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.