Became a picky eater

grdnrr5

Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont
I have had my desert tortoise for 25 years. This year she will no longer eat lettuce but will eat grapes. She has become very picky. Does any body have any ideas.?

Coco Channell

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Las vegas
Try watermelon and strawberries my 11 year old Pixie loves them She comes out of her burrow when she hears us on patio and begs for treats

grdnrr5

Beaumont
Try watermelon and strawberries my 11 year old Pixie loves them She comes out of her burrow when she hears us on patio and begs for treats

Thank you. I was too brief when I started. My tortoise of 25 years ate a variety of foods that she now sniffs and refuses. She has eaten kayle, lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, rose pedals, and more. However, she now will eat only purple grapes. If in a pile of other veggies she will seek out the grapes. Without the grapes she doesn't eat. The only change that I can remember is she was bumped in the nose by my grandson's foot when he didn't see her. So this is quite a change. At first I thought she wasn't warm enough, but now the day time temperatures are 90 to 100 degrees. She will come out when she hears me on the patio and will go to wherever I place her food, sniff and walk away...unless there are purple grapes. I am concerned for her to eat too many grapes as well as the sudden change in her habits. Thank you very much.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you. I was too brief when I started. My tortoise of 25 years ate a variety of foods that she now sniffs and refuses. She has eaten kayle, lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, rose pedals, and more. However, she now will eat only purple grapes. If in a pile of other veggies she will seek out the grapes. Without the grapes she doesn't eat. The only change that I can remember is she was bumped in the nose by my grandson's foot when he didn't see her. So this is quite a change. At first I thought she wasn't warm enough, but now the day time temperatures are 90 to 100 degrees. She will come out when she hears me on the patio and will go to wherever I place her food, sniff and walk away...unless there are purple grapes. I am concerned for her to eat too many grapes as well as the sudden change in her habits. Thank you very much.

Hi. So, while grapes are not the best for the main diet item :) you may want to try to offer them up in more of a "wine" type offering....maybe cut up the goods that the tort needs and then squash in the grapes, smush and juice them and smear them all over the other food items with out the actual grape structure itself....and then do not give in...a tort can go for a long long period of time (months) without eating and be just fine...so you need to be the strong one and hold strong...the tort will not starve itself.... also, if you cut up some tomatos on a plate and then mix those in with the greens and pour any of the tomato juice along with tomato and then salad shake it up....then hold strong.

grdnrr5

Beaumont
Hi. So, while grapes are not the best for the main diet item :) you may want to try to offer them up in more of a "wine" type offering....maybe cut up the goods that the tort needs and then squash in the grapes, smush and juice them and smear them all over the other food items with out the actual grape structure itself....and then do not give in...a tort can go for a long long period of time (months) without eating and be just fine...so you need to be the strong one and hold strong...the tort will not starve itself.... also, if you cut up some tomatos on a plate and then mix those in with the greens and pour any of the tomato juice along with tomato and then salad shake it up....then hold strong.