Beak Trim

mibblead

Hi I'm wondering roughly how much it costs to get a tortoise beak trimmed? I'm going to be ringing around tomorrow to find out but wondered how much you guys have previously paid so I'm not completely shocked by the price tomorrow! I'm guessing it will depend on how bad it is will determine the cost? I'm in the UK if anyone can help me out with a rough price please!
Thanks in advance.

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Is the beak that badly overgrown? Poor baby!
Do you have pics?
I have, thankfully, never had to have a beak trimmed down on my tort or my two turtles but I imagine it's not going to be super cheap. But then again, I suppose it depends on your vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you post pics we can help with the length and if it really needs trimming. Sometimes if it's not overly long, feeding on a flat ruff rock or piece of tile will help to file it down

mibblead

I don't think it's that bad but I'm new to this I'd definitely say princess needs doing, not sure about George, I'll take some pics tomorrow as they're tucked up in bed haha

I hasten to add they were given to me the way they are I've only had them just over a week so just wanting to be sure I'm doing all the right things for them x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it's that bad but I'm new to this I'd definitely say princess needs doing, not sure about George, I'll take some pics tomorrow as they're tucked up in bed haha

I hasten to add they were given to me the way they are I've only had them just over a week so just wanting to be sure I'm doing all the right things for them x
Glad you care and want to do right for them. However, if we can save you some money from not having to take them to the vet, we'd like to do that for you:D

mibblead

Aww that's great thank you :) I'll get the kids off to school in the morning and take some pics once I'm home xx

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't think it's that expensive but you may have a consultation fee to pay on top of the work. My herp vet uses a dremel tool but my tort hasn't had to have it done as he wore his beak down on cuttlebone and eating of slate etc. There is a guide to doing it yourself if you do a search but I'm a bit nervous about that in case I injure his neck while trying to keep his head out of his shell.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't think it's that expensive but you may have a consultation fee to pay on top of the work. My herp vet uses a dremel tool but my tort hasn't had to have it done as he wore his beak down on cuttlebone and eating of slate etc. There is a guide to doing it yourself if you do a search but I'm a bit nervous about that in case I injure his neck while trying to keep his head out of his shell.
If you tip your tort so his head is lower than his tail you will find his head pops out. Just keep him that way :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you - a good ' Tip of the Day' - in more ways than one!! ;)

mibblead

Hi I've taken some pictures I'll post them up now, i actually think princess is worse than I first thought now I've taken a picture and looked properly!

mibblead

I've bought a rough slate to feed them off now but think they need a good trim also

mibblead

Yes I'm much the same I'm too nervous to do it myself I'd rather a professional do it and then me try and keep on top of it if that makes sense, they have a cuttle bone in already, they were like this when I got them so I think they need doing what do you think? I'm still learning so all your help and advice is much appreciated x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would say yes they need a bit of a trim but I still consider myself a novice in the world of torts so see what the more experienced members say. They are lovely torts.

mibblead

Aww thank you :) i love them to pieces! I'll wait and see what others say before i rush in and make an appointment, i really appreciate you taking the time to reply x