Bathing?

mase01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Redcar
Hi, just wanted to ask everyone how they keep there water warm? i get my water warm, but after pouring it in his tub for his bath its literally 2-3 minutes later the water is cold? how do you get around this? as i feel if i leave him in the cold water for too long he wont enjoy it?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I use a 60cc syringe to suck out cool water, then pour hot water in to keep things warm during Darwin's soak... I also use the syringe to hose his shell down while he's soaking.

Jamie

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I use a celebrations chocolate tub and put it in their enclosures near the lamp (not directly under) depends on the size of the tort though

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Plenty of different ways to keep soaking water warm, depends a lot on the size of the tort & container.

For a small tort/container, you could place the soaking tub down inside the warm enclosure.
For a medium container, just refresh with warm water every 10 mins or so.
I used to soak in a large plastic tub thst just fit into our kitchen sink and let warm water gently run into the container, maintaining a nice warm temp.
Now, we use a very large bathroom tub, and add warm water every 15 mins or so.

Just add more water as it cools down.

Use a temp gun to measure the temperature that is comfy for your tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, just wanted to ask everyone how they keep there water warm? i get my water warm, but after pouring it in his tub for his bath its literally 2-3 minutes later the water is cold? how do you get around this? as i feel if i leave him in the cold water for too long he wont enjoy it?

1. Soak the tortoise in a warm area.
  2. Soak in the sun. (Very carefully)
  3. Use a heat source like a heat mat, RHP, CHE, etc...
  4. The heat will stay longer if you put a lid on the soaking container. I use plastic shoeboxes for babies.
  5. Continuously refresh the soaking container with warm water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoises I soak are small, so I just put their soaking bowl back inside their enclosure, right NEXT to where the light hits the substrate.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
Put it in something where there is at least enough space to move around. If its a large tort, then just use room temp water in the bathtub until you are able to get warm water