Bathing my leopard tortoise daily

Rachnam

Location (City and/or State)
Pretoria
Hi guys I just wanted to find out I soak my leopard tortoise Loki every day for between 20 to 30 minutes however I notice he doesnt enjoy it much he keeps trying to get out and scratching at the sides.

I am afraid he is going to hurt his beak... is this normal or am I doing something wrong?how do I stop him from doing this?

Thanks in advance:)

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
It’s normal. Some torts hate the bath, but they eventually learn to accept it. Mine was the same for a long time, trying to climb out the tub.

Forgot to add, make sure you use an I opaque tub, not sure if that’s what you already use.

Rachnam

Pretoria
It’s normal. Some torts hate the bath, but they eventually learn to accept it. Mine was the same for a long time, trying to climb out the tub.

Forgot to add, make sure you use an I opaque tub, not sure if that’s what you already use.
Thank you so much for the response... yes it's opaque

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try soaking at different times of the day, and try using warmer or cooler water to see if you get a different response. If yes, great! If not, don't worry about it. Its good exercise and it benefits them tremendously.

Even though some seem to not like soaking at first, ALL of them eventually get used to it and accept it. Russian tortoises are the worst I've seen for this. They act like you just dropped them in a vat of acid. All of the Russians that I have cared for got used to their daily soaks in short order. Leopards have all been much easier.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have found that temperature makes a difference. When I soak early in the morning, and they are not toasty yet, too hot freaks them out. Soaking in the afternoon, or evening, after warming up all day, they like it warmer.

Rachnam

Pretoria
Try soaking at different times of the day, and try using warmer or cooler water to see if you get a different response. If yes, great! If not, don't worry about it. Its good exercise and it benefits them tremendously.

Even though some seem to not like soaking at first, ALL of them eventually get used to it and accept it. Russian tortoises are the worst I've seen for this. They act like you just dropped them in a vat of acid. All of the Russians that I have cared for got used to their daily soaks in short order. Leopards have all been much easier.
Thanks so much will definitely try that..
I'm just a new tort mum so get stressed when I feel like he isnt okay esp since he is not like a cat or dog that can show distress via sounds I guess I have to learn the other signals...