Bath

kakashi_12

Location (City and/or State)
Erie
I was told to give my tortoise a bath twice a day with warm water for 30 minutes.
Almost every time she gets her bath, she poops in it.
I wonder if this is normal & if not how will she ever grow if she continues to poop out all her food that she consumes???
Am I over worrying?
Thanks for any insight...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was told to give my tortoise a bath twice a day with warm water for 30 minutes.
Almost every time she gets her bath, she poops in it.
I wonder if this is normal & if not how will she ever grow if she continues to poop out all her food that she consumes???
Am I over worrying?
Thanks for any insight...
Once a day is plenty. Twice a day will do no harm.

I have heard this argument about the pooping before, but the opposition goes silent, or they start calling me names when I ask why 100% of the babies of all the species I have hatched thrive and grow with daily soaks that they always poop in. If they were somehow being robbed of nutrition, wouldn't they NOT grow, and NOT thrive? Yet they thrive and grow faster than tortoises that are not soaked daily and are housed too dry.

I do think you are over worrying. I knew a guy that soaked sulcata hatchings for 6 hours a day in a kiddie pool. He grew some of the healthiest tortoises on this forum. I'm not advocating for six hours of soaking each day. I am merely pointing out that it is NOT harmful.