Bath time is evil?

caviidane

Location (City and/or State)
California
Anyone have issue with your tort constantly trying to escape bath time? Our Russian, Valun, seems to HATE bath time. We make him take them, of course, but I always feel like I'm stressing him out [emoji22]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Anyone have issue with your tort constantly trying to escape bath time? Our Russian, Valun, seems to HATE bath time. We make him take them, of course, but I always feel like I'm stressing him out [emoji22]

I think they're okay with it as long as the water is warm. I'm pretty sure they only try to get out because they can see through the container and think they can get there. The exercise is good for them, anyway ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Many russians don't like the water at first. I've had some of them that act like I've dropped them into acid. After checking the temperature 5 times, I learned to just leave them alone and let them exercise. Most of them get used to it in a few days, but I've had a few that took months to get used to it. Eventually all of them get used to it. So don't worry. Even if your tortoise is currently acting like you are killing him, it won't hurt him, its good for him, and he'll get used to it in time.

Bambam1989

East Texas
My little tort just kind of melts during bath time.. unless he sees me cutting his food- then he tries to climb out after it.
All that flailing should help your torts digestion. Yay exercise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians are well known for disliking baths. I find them to be most successful first thing in the morning before they have warmed up properly.

Use a large, flat bottomed bowl that your tort can’t see over or through. A washing up bowl is ideal. The larger volume of water cools more slowly. Plastic is a better insulator than china or glass. If your tort can see over the top or through the sides it will want to escape.

Have the water warm, but not hot. Think baby bath. Change the water when it cools.

Don’t panic when/if your tort poops or pees in the water. It is normal. Scoop the poop out and wash your hands thoroughly.

If the water is the right temperature and your tort isn’t up to full marching speed and temperature for the day your tort is more likely to relax and enjoy.