Basking Temps and Wattage Changes

sullygirl85

Location (City and/or State)
APG, Maryland
I was trying to find an open thread to ask this question. So I finally got EVERYTHING set up after reading all the posts on here and the sulcata tortoise group on Facebook as well. So I have my CHE set up on a thermostat set at 80 degrees(which i think it was too cold on the other side of the tank because she is just moving around like crazy now!!!) I found a great deal on a HUGE 75 Gallon tank with screen that I covered in Alluminum foil to trap in the moisture and what not, I have my timers set up to be about 13 hours of light each day, and her substrate is a mixture of sand on the bottom which she won't get to and eco earth on the top. I read several times that sand is good to save money, its play sand not anything terrible. I also put in some of the moss stuff, but in my sons red foot tank, it started to mold after three days, I'm not sure what is going on with that, perhaps I went it too much idk, but that was odd. Anyway, MY QUESTION was, that now that i have the basking light handing down effectively in the tank, its raising the hot end up to 95 degrees and the hot spot is like 104, i know that can't be right......can i just lower the wattage of the flood light and it would be good? I am currently using a 65 watt flood lamp bulb, thinking of maybe lowering the wattage, i don't have a dimmer on this light which sucks I wish I did, i would just dim it a little, but I do have walmart right around the corner lol. So let me know what you all think, because of you I finally getting the hang of all this stuff. I really want to say that I appreciate every little bit of help you guys offer!!! Also, I ordered her food too the ones suggested from tortoise supple and i also ordered the sulcata mix from sulcata food. So i have that under the sunshine right now in bins YAY!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Those basking temps are right on. Does the other side of the tank stay in the low 90s? Good job getting everything set up. How is your humidity?

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
Those basking temps are right on. Does the other side of the tank stay in the low 90s? Good job getting everything set up. How is your humidity?

YAY! the humidity level at the moment reads 85% in the tank. the lower end tapers off to 80 degrees, no lower than that as I have the thermostat prong back there to ensure that it stays regulated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sand won't do what you want it to do and could be a danger if ever eaten.
I'd swap it all out with potting soil, compost, top soil or any combination if them as a bottom layer. It'll breath and evaporate water. sand will just turn into a cement chunk.