Basking temp

Clarec

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I'm a first time tortoise owner n we have only had him a week (he's a russain tortoise ) the bulb for heating his basking area broke thismorning , I took the old bulb to the reptile shop but was informed it was very old and not made anymore I bought a 60w bulb . Now the basking area is reading 100 , I think this is too hot ? Not sure how to get it down I can't move the bulb any further away . (Iv attached a pic) the thermometer is in the background is this the right place ? The other end of his enclosure is cooler .
Would really appreciate some help , thank u image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you are using the tube-type bulb for UVB, you can get away with just using a regular household incandescent bulb for basking. I'm guessing that your fixture is stationary and you can't raise or lower it, so in that case, I'd get a 60 watt incandescent bulb. You want it to be about 100F directly under the light...but not all over the whole habitat. Also, your chips look very dry. Your baby would benefit from a bit of a moist substrate.

Clarec

Ireland
Thank you for your help it's much appreciated . I will change the bulb now . I am changing the substrate also

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Clarec

Ireland
Thank you tom , the threads are very helpful I'm learning as I go along can I just ask ? The tortoise has a piece of bark he loves to sit / sleep under it's quite close to the basking spot should I move it to the cooler end or leave it where it is seeing as Jeffrey seems ok ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would leave it where it is, but add another one to the cooler end. That way the tortoise does not have to choose between the temperature he needs to be at and security. They need to move about the enclosure throughout the day to get warmer or cooler and manage their temperature. Sometimes if they don't feel secure in one end or the other, they will stay in an area that is either too warm or too cool because they feel safer there.

Clarec

Ireland
Thanks again tom .
Ahh that's why he never ventures to the cool end ... There's not much there for him, il pick up another big piece of bark for him .