Basking light not right?

Mark Cassell

Basking area directly under the bulb should be around 36-37 C for a horsfield tortoise. But you want a large area that is evenly heated to that temperature, not a small spot that is unevenly heated like what you have now.
Hi thanks for the advice really appreciate it! The bulb I had originally was fine , nice even heat distribution but it broke so had to get a replacement , I've got a 100w and a 60w but they both seem to have heat spots .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi thanks for the advice really appreciate it! The bulb I had originally was fine , nice even heat distribution but it broke so had to get a replacement , I've got a 100w and a 60w but they both seem to have heat spots .

It seems like the type of bulb you are buying is the issue. "Spot" bulbs will frequently have those hot spots. "Flood" bulbs usually don't. I use 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store. No hot spots.

Mark Cassell

It seems like the type of bulb you are buying is the issue. "Spot" bulbs will frequently have those hot spots. "Flood" bulbs usually don't. I use 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store. No hot spots.
Thanks I'll get one