Basking light not right?

Mark Cassell

DSC_0950.JPG DSC_0951.JPG Hi my horsfield tortoise is 8 months old and I recently got a new basking bulb but it seems to have a ring of heat rather than a nice a spot . See pictures attached . Is this wrong? DSC_0951.JPG

Mark Cassell

You can see the ring of fire more visible here, I'm worried about heat spots, should I be ?

erinlyndon

I'm not sure, I've only been a tortoise owner for 3 months, my bulb is the arcadia d3 mvb 100w. It doesnt do that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you mount it in one of these:

ceramic clamp light.jpg

...you get better heat distribution. But make sure the fixture has a ceramic base. And don't use the clamp feature - just take the clamp off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can move the rocks away too so she can't be so close to the heat spot.

Also, I'd get a different UVB bulb. Those compact fluorescent bulbs have been known to cause painful eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with everything Yvonne just said.

Your temps look fine, but that bulb is a "spot" bulb and I recommend against them for the very reason you have noted here. They concentrate too much heat into too small of an area. I would replace that bulb with a "flood" bulb and use a ceramic based, hooded fixture for it to direct more heat down and spread it out.

About the coil bulb: In addition to the risk of eye burning, they are not effective UV sources and if it was a non-eyeburning bulb and you decide to keep it, it is still too far away from the tortoise for the tortoise to get any UV benefit from it. I'd replace that with an Arcadia tube of one sort or another.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi yes it's adjustable , it's at 32° now
Basking area directly under the bulb should be around 36-37 C for a horsfield tortoise. But you want a large area that is evenly heated to that temperature, not a small spot that is unevenly heated like what you have now.