Basking lamp?

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
Well I'm kinda concerned.. just took all of hugos measurements.
18" long about 30 lbs not 50 like I thought. Guess she's small for being 8 yrs old.

Anyway should I have a basking light for him?.. I built his night box in the shed connected to his outdoor enclosure without thinking about this before and the temps were going to see..

Lows on average are about 20F
lowest I have seen in my life is 7F a few years back..lowest last year was 26F
Days are 40-60F..

I feel like I should have built Hugo a larger winter box which included space for a basking lamp.. now I'm kicking myself cuz I didnt.. I don't think he will go out in the winter... and if he should have a basking lamp so he can digest properly..
Suggestions please.. I can always add length to his box with a basking lamp for him if you all think it is necessary.

Thanks!
Merced

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I don't know how big the night box is now, but I don't feel they need a really large night box. The important issue is the ability to warm core body temps enough to allow metabolism throughout the year. In my area, winter will have nights that get down to freezing and the days may not warm above the mid 40's for a week at a time. So for winter, I set my night box/house thermostat to stay at 80° but I also put in two low wattage (65) flood bulbs that are on 13 hours a day. My sulcata house is tall enough where the bulbs are mounted at 36". But that is enough to heat the house to about 86° in the daytime. Plus there is some basking heat value under the bulbs.

My thoughts are:
To provide a photoperiod that offsets the short winter photoperiod where we live.
To provide enough heat to allow proper metabolism throughout the year. - A way the tortoise can always get core body temp to the mid 80°s
To not let nighttime temps drop where core body temp goes low enough to suspend metabolism

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I just put a small florescent light fixture in Speedy's night box for those cold day's that he stay's inside . His Night box is 4 Ft. By 5 Ft. It has worked for me and I am only 30 miles away from you ! ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I just put a small florescent light fixture in Speedy's night box for those cold day's that he stay's inside . His Night box is 4 Ft. By 5 Ft. It has worked for me and I am only 30 miles away from you ! ;)
Fluorescent lights have very low wattage and very little heat output. They're bright, but don't help with temperature.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Fluorescent lights have very low wattage and very little heat output. They're bright, but don't help with temperature.

He has 2 Kane mats and a heater , all hooked up to a 1000 watt Zilla Temperature control . It keeps his box a nice toasty 85 F. on the rare day's that it is actually to cold for him to come out ! :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He has 2 Kane mats and a heater , all hooked up to a 1000 watt Zilla Temperature control . It keeps his box a nice toasty 85 F. on the rare day's that it is actually to cold for him to come out ! :D

But you left that information out of your first post which made it misleading to OP

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
But you left that information out of your first post which made it misleading to OP
LOL I know better that their not for heat.

I don't know how big the night box is now, but I don't feel they need a really large night box. The important issue is the ability to warm core body temps enough to allow metabolism throughout the year. In my area, winter will have nights that get down to freezing and the days may not warm above the mid 40's for a week at a time. So for winter, I set my night box/house thermostat to stay at 80° but I also put in two low wattage (65) flood bulbs that are on 13 hours a day. My sulcata house is tall enough where the bulbs are mounted at 36". But that is enough to heat the house to about 86° in the daytime. Plus there is some basking heat value under the bulbs.

My thoughts are:
To provide a photoperiod that offsets the short winter photoperiod where we live.
To provide enough heat to allow proper metabolism throughout the year. - A way the tortoise can always get core body temp to the mid 80°s
To not let nighttime temps drop where core body temp goes low enough to suspend metabolism

His box is 4x7x 2 ft tall. I believe his box will hold temps above 80. So far it's been around 82 ( bumped up the thermostat since we saw 40 last night.)

Hmmm Im still not sure...

Hmm I thought about doing a Kane mat.. and that's cool your so close!
So how does your tortoise behave in St David during the winter? Food, activity, etc especially when it's cold.. I'm curious since we have about the same climate and people in phoenix and tucson are really different than us.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
LOL I know better that their not for heat.

His box is 4x7x 2 ft tall. I believe his box will hold temps above 80. So far it's been around 82 ( bumped up the thermostat since we saw 40 last night.)

Hmmm Im still not sure...

Hmm I thought about doing a Kane mat.. and that's cool your so close!
So how does your tortoise behave in St David during the winter? Food, activity, etc especially when it's cold.. I'm curious since we have about the same climate and people in phoenix and tucson are really different than us.

He comes out most day's , at least to sit and bask in the sun for a bit ! His eating slows down a little . I have been putting his food outside the box so far this year , trying to encourage him coming out a bit more ! I like the Kane mats because they are very well made and just about indestructable ! I will probably replace his heater with a Radiant heat panel next year , I used one for my Ackie Monitor and really like them ! I made a ramp type door on his box and just open it in the morning so he can come out when he likes , this is his 2nd winter outside , he is just over 3 years old .

100_8764.jpg

103.jpg