Basking Iight or CHE

LiamJMcIntyre

5 Year Member
I have an adult horsfield and at the moment we have a red heat lamp and I have been told that this is bad for him as it will confused the little guy. So today I am going out to buy a new light. Do I buy a basking light or a CHE and if so what WATT do I need?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need both a uvb basking light and a CHE for added heat when needed and for no light heat at night when needed. If you already have a uvb light then you don't need another and the CHE can be used for basking, although a basking light is easier for them to figure out where the heat is as they are used to backing under the sunlight.

LiamJMcIntyre

5 Year Member
You need both a uvb basking light and a CHE for added heat when needed and for no light heat at night when needed. If you already have a uvb light then you don't need another and the CHE can be used for basking, although a basking light is easier for them to figure out where the heat is as they are used to backing under the sunlight.
Thanks for the reply!
I've been told that horsfields do not need any extra light for a night time because they are used to drops to around 15 degrees. Therefore I wasn't sure whether to get a basking or a CHE. I already have a UVB bulb

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No on the 15 degrees. I have never heard that and as far as I know they can not withstand that low of temps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

LiamJMcIntyre

5 Year Member
58 degrees, (15 celcius). They can not survive 15 degrees but 15 celcius I guess is about 58 degrees. Reread it. The word degrees should not have been put in the line with the celcius
I have read it and I would say degrees because I am in the UK

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
here is the line copied and pasted.
Russian tortoises do NOT require nighttime heat, unless the room they are in drops below 58 degrees F (15 degrees C) at night.
58 degrees or 15 celcius.

LiamJMcIntyre

5 Year Member
here is the line copied and pasted.
Russian tortoises do NOT require nighttime heat, unless the room they are in drops below 58 degrees F (15 degrees C) at night.
58 degrees or 15 celcius.
Yes I understand that but by me saying 15 degrees I meant celcius because I'm from the UK so I don't use Fahrenheit. It's just a misunderstanding I think haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have an adult horsfield and at the moment we have a red heat lamp and I have been told that this is bad for him as it will confused the little guy. So today I am going out to buy a new light. Do I buy a basking light or a CHE and if so what WATT do I need?

No one can tell you what wattage is going to work in your enclosure. Each one is different and it sounds like your hour gets pretty cold. I usually use 65 watt flood bulbs and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp under them. My house stays no lower than about 21c even in winter. Most of the year its warmer than that. So you will have to get a bulb, check your temps, adjust the height as needed, and possibly try a different bulb if you can't get the correct temps. Or you could get a bigger bulb, like a 150 watt flood, and run it on a rheostat so you can turn the dial to get the basking temperature perfect.

Adult russians (horsfieldii) can certainly survive temps as low at 15c at night, but I prefer to keep them closer to 20c at night. How old is yours? If it is an adult you could try it with no night heat for a bit and then observe the tortoise for appetite and behavioral changes. If the tortoise stays active and eating during the day, then your night temps are adequate. If the tortoise hides all the time, becomes less active, slows down on the appetite, then the application of some night heat may be necessary. A CHE set on a thermostat could serve you well here and you'd only need to set it at around 18-21c to do the job for this species.

About UV: In your climate providing good indoor UVB is really a necessity, since outside time is so limited year round due to your English weather. I recommend the Arcadia 12% HO type bulbs mounted about 18-24" above the tortoise. If you must mount the tube closer, then you'll need something different as these bulbs generate to much UV to be used close up. I strongly recommend a good UV meter too, so that you can be SURE you are providing enough UV and so that you know when to replace your UV bulb. This tube will also serve to light up the enclosure during the daytime and help to keep your tortoise more active.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I understand that but by me saying 15 degrees I meant celcius because I'm from the UK so I don't use Fahrenheit. It's just a misunderstanding I think haha
Okay, now I get it. But 15 degrees in the USA is very, very cold, so that's why I was so worried. Now I think we are on the same page:D

LiamJMcIntyre

5 Year Member
No one can tell you what wattage is going to work in your enclosure. Each one is different and it sounds like your hour gets pretty cold. I usually use 65 watt flood bulbs and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp under them. My house stays no lower than about 21c even in winter. Most of the year its warmer than that. So you will have to get a bulb, check your temps, adjust the height as needed, and possibly try a different bulb if you can't get the correct temps. Or you could get a bigger bulb, like a 150 watt flood, and run it on a rheostat so you can turn the dial to get the basking temperature perfect.

Adult russians (horsfieldii) can certainly survive temps as low at 15c at night, but I prefer to keep them closer to 20c at night. How old is yours? If it is an adult you could try it with no night heat for a bit and then observe the tortoise for appetite and behavioral changes. If the tortoise stays active and eating during the day, then your night temps are adequate. If the tortoise hides all the time, becomes less active, slows down on the appetite, then the application of some night heat may be necessary. A CHE set on a thermostat could serve you well here and you'd only need to set it at around 18-21c to do the job for this species.

About UV: In your climate providing good indoor UVB is really a necessity, since outside time is so limited year round due to your English weather. I recommend the Arcadia 12% HO type bulbs mounted about 18-24" above the tortoise. If you must mount the tube closer, then you'll need something different as these bulbs generate to much UV to be used close up. I strongly recommend a good UV meter too, so that you can be SURE you are providing enough UV and so that you know when to replace your UV bulb. This tube will also serve to light up the enclosure during the daytime and help to keep your tortoise more active.
Thanks at this has helped loads. I will definitely look at that bulb as it will be time to replace mine in about 3 months