Bashing into walls of enclosure

oacason

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, ky
My oldest Hermann's tortoise has started NONSTOP bashing into every side of his enclosure, trying to dig out of it and trying to climb the back walls. He's now starting digging a trench in his substrate at the front of his enclosure as well. This has been going on for a couple of months, recently getting really worse.
He's about 3 years old. Enclosure is ABS plastic with drop down plexi front doors. I covered the clear doors with construction paper several weeks ago, so he cannot see out. The rest of the cage is black plastic.
Temp is 95 on the basking side. About 80 on the cool side. Cypress mulch/reptichip mix substrate. Arcadia UVB.
I've also noticed he started biting his own front legs. Not drawing blood, but this is also worrisome.
His appetite has also gone way down. He used to eat greens/weeds every day, now he barely touches them.
I'm fairly sure he's a male based on his tail. Pic attached.
What the heck is going on with my tortoise? I'm considering taking him to a vet...

Attachments

• 20220413_112710.jpg
    20220413_112710.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220330_095540.jpg
    20220330_095540.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A couple things - he wants out and his enclosure is too small for an adult tortoise. Is there any way you can set him up outside?

oacason

Louisville, ky
His enclosure is 4 ft long x 2ft wide. I don't have an outdoor enclosure. I also thought it was too cold for them outside? Other than in the summer of course.
Edit: I'm also worried about predator animals being able to get to him if he's outside 24/7.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
His enclosure is 4 ft long x 2ft wide. I don't have an outdoor enclosure. I also thought it was too cold for them outside? Other than in the summer of course.
Edit: I'm also worried about predator animals being able to get to him if he's outside 24/7.
Is there anywhere you could have an outside enclosure which you could put up in the daytime only, even just for a couple of hours, to give him more exercise ?
Angie

oacason

Louisville, ky
Is there anywhere you could have an outside enclosure which you could put up in the daytime only, even just for a couple of hours, to give him more exercise ?
Angie
I have a backyard with enough room for an outdoor enclosure. I'm not handy and wouldn't be able to build it. If there is something I could buy that would work, I am open to that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of my first efforts towards enclosure building involved cinderblocks and back breaking effort. For a species the size of your tortoise you use your house or a fence in the yard as one wall of the enclosure then stack cinderblocks (two high) as the other three walls. I suggest a finished project measuring appx. 4' x 8' inside dimensions.

Then a few potted plants, a plant saucer for water, a ceramic tile to feed him on and a couple hiding places. Make it interesting enough with several sight barriers and he should be happy enough to not keep trying to escape.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of Arcadia and what distance is it mounted from the tortoise? How many hours a day is the bulb on?

oacason

Louisville, ky
I use Arcadia 12% T8 bulbs. I just measured the distance and it's about 9" if he's at the back of the cage. So farther away if he's roaming. On for 12 hours a day. Should I be using something different, or maybe I'm overdoing it? I know you said previously they only need a few hours of UVB if they go outside, but currently mine does not.
I'm planning on getting something together as an outdoor enclosure. But I still plan on bringing him in at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use Arcadia 12% T8 bulbs. I just measured the distance and it's about 9" if he's at the back of the cage. So farther away if he's roaming. On for 12 hours a day. Should I be using something different, or maybe I'm overdoing it? I know you said previously they only need a few hours of UVB if they go outside, but currently mine does not.
I'm planning on getting something together as an outdoor enclosure. But I still plan on bringing him in at night.
That is WAY too close, and way too long to be using it. 12% HO tubes need to be about 20 inches away. You are sun-burning him and it hurts. He might be blind now too and that is why he is bashing into the sides. You must use a meter to properly set the height of any UV tube. Anything else is just guessing. Turn that tube off ASAP. They can go weeks with no UV at all with no problems. Be sure you have ambient lighting in addition to the basking bulb. You don't want it dark in there with the UV off.

oacason

Louisville, ky
That is WAY too close, and way too long to be using it. 12% HO tubes need to be about 20 inches away. You are sun-burning him and it hurts. He might be blind now too and that is why he is bashing into the sides. You must use a meter to properly set the height of any UV tube. Anything else is just guessing. Turn that tube off ASAP. They can go weeks with no UV at all with no problems. Be sure you have ambient lighting in addition to the basking bulb. You don't want it dark in there with the UV off.
I don't think he's blind, he seems to see just fine?
But okay point taken, I'll just some that are less intense. Perhaps I'll just re-home them instead since I'm apparently killing them. Thanks everyone.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I don't think he's blind, he seems to see just fine?
But okay point taken, I'll just some that are less intense. Perhaps I'll just re-home them instead since I'm apparently killing them. Thanks everyone.
I did the same. A lot of us seem to make mistakes. It’s something new. Don’t beat yourself up. But if you want to rehome to save yourself the grief and anxiety, that’s totally understandable.

glassbird

Seacoast area of New Hampshire, USA
Just what ever you do outside, block him from being able to dig under, or climb out.

I have never used cinder blocks (yet) but I would put the first row, maybe even part of the second row, under ground and then back fill. Put two more rows on top of that. And something to block the top of the corners. They can use corners to wedge and climb.