Strange tortoise behavoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

expo tort

5 Year Member
Let me start with saying that I am a bit of a worry wort. I mean my tortoise and his stuff was not cheap. Ok down to the problem. My tortoise seems very sluggish lately. His temps are the same(day 80 non basking cool side,basking 100-102 night down to 60 max 70) his uv bulbs are working right but he's less active. I recently started misting him I also have just added a humid hide with spaghum moss. I use zoo med repti bark for his substrate. He has one water bowl in the center of his enclosure. His enclosure is about 1 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet long. He has three hides one on the basking side one, the humid hide, a half log in the center, and one on the cool side. The cool side has the sun bulb but it sticks out of the fixture the heat bulb is about 6 inches from him. I'm almost positive this is not an eye problem. I'm supposed to know his humidity but I don't. I would estimate it at about 60-70%. I gave such a vivid description because my photo bucket doesn't want to work.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
If you are using the high constant humidity method I would make sure your coolest temp does not drop below 80° ...cool and wet is a bad mix. Also, the current temp drop for night seems kinda extreme....I would put the basking spot at 95-100 and keep your ambient temp about 80° including night temp...do you keep the entire enclosure moist ? Or do you only use a humid hide but the rest dry?

How is he eating? Are you offering daily soaks? You say on the cool side there is some type of bulb that sticks out of the fixture? And six inches may be entirely too close? He may be hiding because he is being over heated and over exposed during the day and then too cold and damp in the evening....you will really want to tweak your temps a bit for the basking spot down a bit and up your evening temps so there is not such a significant temp drop....

Wait round for other info from some of the other members...the more the merrier...bit in the interim I would adjust those temps soon....

;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Constant temperatures of 80 degrees, especially at night is much too hot! Especially at night. Regardless of humidity. Hight humidity is only a concern with Northern Mediterranean species when temperatures begin to go below 60 degrees.

You don't mention how big/old your Hermann's tortoise is. It would be good to know this. Also, estimating what the humidity level is probably isn't very accurate since the human comfort level is usually different than that of a tortoise. A good digital hygrometer only costs about $8-12.

Regardless of size/age the temperature requirements are about the same: Ambient daytime 70-82 degrees, with high 70's being ideal. Daytime basking 95-105, middle of that range being ideal. Night time temperatures high 50's to 65 degrees max. Right around 58-62 is best. Northern Mediterranean species, especially the Hermann's subspecies, are most active when they experience and 15-20 degree day to night temperature differential. Keeping them consistently too warm night and day is not good for a number of reasons.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The substrate is not the best. Repti-Bark is fir bark, which does not hold moisture well. Better to use something like coco coir, cypress mulch, or soil, all of which can provide a humid microclimate.

expo tort

5 Year Member
ascott said:
If you are using the high constant humidity method I would make sure your coolest temp does not drop below 80° ...cool and wet is a bad mix. Also, the current temp drop for night seems kinda extreme....I would put the basking spot at 95-100 and keep your ambient temp about 80° including night temp...do you keep the entire enclosure moist ? Or do you only use a humid hide but the rest dry?

How is he eating? Are you offering daily soaks? You say on the cool side there is some type of bulb that sticks out of the fixture? And six inches may be entirely too close? He may be hiding because he is being over heated and over exposed during the day and then too cold and damp in the evening....you will really want to tweak your temps a bit for the basking spot down a bit and up your evening temps so there is not such a significant temp drop....

Wait round for other info from some of the other members...the more the merrier...bit in the interim I would adjust those temps soon....

;)

My tortoise is a yearling hermann. I mist him twice a day once at 7ish and again about 3 while the lamps are on. His enclosure has Timothy hay all over. I don't soak him every day. Soak him Monday, wendsday, Friday, and Sunday. His special uv bulb not the heat one but the uv. He eats daily. His diet is lettuce and carrots on Monday thru wendsday and Timothy hay Thursday thru Sunday. My thinking is the water evaporates before I turn his lights. He is by no means a shy tortoise so any changes you guys recommend I will try to put into action.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Josh:

You need to add more variety to your tortoise's diet. I'd cut out the carrots and add some spring mix. You can also buy turnip greens, escarole, red or green-leaf lettuce and endive. You don't have to buy it all at once, but change to something different every time you shop.

vvictoriataylor5

5 Year Member
I would agree with one of the threads saying that the substrate could be wrong . You need a 50/50 mis if soil and sand as this will help create a great moist climate but not humid as Hermanns don't like humidity .

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
GBtortoises said:
Constant temperatures of 80 degrees, especially at night is much too hot! Especially at night. Regardless of humidity. Hight humidity is only a concern with Northern Mediterranean species when temperatures begin to go below 60 degrees.

You don't mention how big/old your Hermann's tortoise is. It would be good to know this. Also, estimating what the humidity level is probably isn't very accurate since the human comfort level is usually different than that of a tortoise. A good digital hygrometer only costs about $8-12.

Regardless of size/age the temperature requirements are about the same: Ambient daytime 70-82 degrees, with high 70's being ideal. Daytime basking 95-105, middle of that range being ideal. Night time temperatures high 50's to 65 degrees max. Right around 58-62 is best. Northern Mediterranean species, especially the Hermann's subspecies, are most active when they experience and 15-20 degree day to night temperature differential. Keeping them consistently too warm night and day is not good for a number of reasons.

Completely agree with the night time temps:)
The younger torts tend not to like the hay, you kinda have to sneak it in their food;)
It also absorbs moisture from the air,
I would definitely get a hygrometer, petco has non digital for $4.99,
I also use coconut fiber :)

expo tort

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help you guys. I'm getting his hygrometer on Sunday and his diet going to consist of less hay more greens. I'll change the bedding soon.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hay can be a good source of fiber which is very important for a tortoise's digestive process. Young Testudo species rarely show much interest in hay. In fact neither do most adult Testudo, the exception often being Marginated tortoises. Many will consume dried leaves (need to be non-toxic). Any hay can also be ground up fine and sprinkled on their food as an additional fiber source.

Everyone has their substrate favorites. I've tried just about everything out there and have found the following to be the best overall for young tortoises: I use a combination of 60% organic top or potting soil, 30% and the rest ground leaves and sphagnum moss. This substrate easily retains moisture well when sprayed twice daily, can easily be dug into by babies but also remains firm enough on top to allow for good solid footing.

Status
Not open for further replies.