Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Found this on the 'net a while ago:

This is an Australian Scrub Python pulling a kangaroo out of the water. Talk about a maneater! This picture is from Western Australia. Take a careful look at this picture.....see the size of the snake and the kangaroo being pulled out of the water!

http://www.wyomingoutdoorsradio.com/snake cow ready.jpg

Couldn't figure out how to save the picture to photobucket, so I hope the link works.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I believe that royal python is another name ball python. In west African kingdoms they used to be kept in the grainaries as rodent control and harming them was punishable by death. Therefore the royal python. I always liked that name over ball.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
the royal/ball python is on my list of wants!!!
I have e-mailed with Kathy Love and Ballroom Pythons and the Sutherlands...all great breeders if there is no one local already to you.

They are beautiful and thankfully I love the normals as much or more than all the amazing morphs out there, easier on the wallet.

BDoyle
What do you think is the most challenging part of raising one?
The humidity is my concern...as well as finicky eating...although the CBs seem to much more amicable to f/t than the wc's...and of course less parasite etc issues to worry about.
Do you find males or females a more gentle 'family pet'?
We have had and now have cornsnakes...so we are used to the cobra baby turns sweet snake...but I do not want the GTP temperament where they are 'display' only.

Although I also LOVE the blood pythons, but I think their humidity would even be harder to achieve...

I also like the RP/BP lifespan potential:D

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
they are wonderful looking snakes

minniemax

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
I believe that royal python is another name ball python. In west African kingdoms they used to be kept in the grainaries as rodent control and harming them was punishable by death. Therefore the royal python. I always liked that name over ball.
im from the uk thats why i call them royals and not ball pythons

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
That is what their scientific name means as well...Royal vs Ball.

Anyway, what were some of your questions?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cam said:
BDoyle
What do you think is the most challenging part of raising one?
The humidity is my concern...as well as finicky eating...although the CBs seem to much more amicable to f/t than the wc's...and of course less parasite etc issues to worry about.
Do you find males or females a more gentle 'family pet'?
We have had and now have cornsnakes...so we are used to the cobra baby turns sweet snake...but I do not want the GTP temperament where they are 'display' only.

Although I also LOVE the blood pythons, but I think their humidity would even be harder to achieve...

I also like the RP/BP lifespan potential:D

My personal thoughts on those questions is that the worse part is the times when they go on their hunger strikes. I know every winter that mine will stop eating and that it will be for almost 2 months. That doesn't stop me from worrying about him when it does happen. There is just something inside that hates to watch him refuse food, almost like I am doing something wrong even having the knowledge that it is normal for him to do so.

I know this isn't fair, but we have had a couple of males and only the one female to compare them to, but I would always pick a male. Our female was one of the females you hear about. She was always a picky eater and had a very nasty temperament, something we never found in our males. I also know you can get sweet females and nasty males and that each animal has it's own potential, still she did fade my thoughts on females a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.