(Off-topic) Red-tail Boa

I was thinking if a boa/python would be easier to care for. Always wanted a constrictor, especially a red tail

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Your Ball will be a 1/3 of the size at maturity.....I have a pair of Very Nice Redtails. Large -Breeding and Docile. Will make or trade very good deal if interested. Pm me if you like ......

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I suppose that depends a bit on what you find "easier"... Ball pythons are smaller, unless you get a dwarf locality boa. Boas tend to be more consistent about eating. Other than that and enclosure size (boas need more space), they're pretty similar as far as difficulty level. IMO, at least...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they are way easier than keeping tortoises . You can keep one hundred snakes in a bed room in a rack system . As for the bigger snakes like red tails they have a snippy attitude . Ball pythons are the ones I would say get your feet wet with . They are a smaller snake with some awesome pattern to choose from. You can make a rack system with pull outs to keep more than one . You can just get you one and make a nice enclosure . But snakes do get food aggressive,don't feed them in their enclosure . Feed them in a box or something . I have a red tail and a ball myself . The red tail can get to be a hand full . They can get up to 12 foot of eating machines . Balls are cheaper to keep small mice, birds like chickens . Red tails big rats, rabbits, large chickens you get the idea . A red tail can give you a nasty bite . They can get around your neck and squeeze and kill you too. They are snakes so you need to start with a smaller snake . Don't ever think it will not bite me . Snakes don't love on you . Do a lot of research and if you desire to get a big python or boa than think about safety . I have kept some big burmese and reticulated pythons . They are no joke they have the power to take you out . Well enough yapping . Just be careful.

I am quite aware of the danger of keeping larger constrictors. I will have have a strict rule of only handling large boas/pythons with a partner encase something does go wrong.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I keep red tails and ball pythons. About 30 snakes total. I agree with Mike Taylor's advise. Start out with the ball pythons for the very reasons Mike stated. There are so many color morphs of the ball python, you will definitely find something that you want.