squeaky Ball python need help PLZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
I need help and assistance I have a female normal BP about 8 months old now squeaking never done this before. I've just moved her in to a larger setup last weekend and just tonight I started hearing the squeaking.

I've read what I could about it most say it could be a respitory infection(RI) however it is a squeak not a weeze as most site say is a common sign. There is no bubbles or mucus as of yet, she does seems to "rest" her head on things such as the dish hides and branches, but this is common for her since we have had her.

Things that have changed since last week. Branches,fake vine/plant, new setup, one new larger hide, and a new heating pad.

Just yesterday I relized that the heating pad doesn't stick right, and is a crap zilla heating pad. I now have an exo terra on stuck on since 2ish pm today and checked it and it is a lot hotter then the other.

Other sites suggested rasing the heat and humidity I'm doing that now, i have the half of the tank with the heating pad covered with a blanket. I also have the heating pad that didn't stick under the tank with a towel under it so it is pressed agaist the bottow of the tank, so instead of 1/4 of the tank being heated I have 1/2 of the tank coverd via heating pad.

Tank is a 30Lx12Wx12 high with a thing layer of aspen for bedding. She is about 2.5ft long possibly longer, I don't have a scale so I don't have a weight

Also side note tried to feed her pre-killed but she refused it. It was the first time we tried we normally feed live, could she have just refused it because she was/is sic? Or just not interested in dead? We also switched from rat pup to small rats at the begining of the year and feed once a week tuesdays or wednesday so every 6-8 days. So should be plenty of time to digest. She ate fine before being put in to the new setup she is feed in a seaperate continer.

Thank you in advance for any/all help. If you need any other questions answered plz ask. She is our first snake and my wife and I are attached to this snake

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
It likely is a RI, but can't sure for sure; squeak, wheeze...either way, they shouldn't be making that sound, and something is off in the respiratory system that is causing it.

What are the EXACT temps: hot side, cold side, ambient temps? Also what is the humidity?

Snakes get RIs the same reasons tortoises get RIs a lot; kept in open-top enclosures that allow all the heat and humidity to escape. Ball pythons, much like sulcata tortoises, spend a lot of time in underground burrows (as well as termite mounds) where it is hot and humid and dark. That is the environment you generally want to replicate for a healthy BP. A 20-gal tank with a open/screen top just allows for a big draft coming from above. My suggestion is to cover that top!

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
The top is now covered, I've never really worried about the temos as I assumed the under the tank heater would cover it. I will monitor the temps from in the hides and out today and tomorrow I have a hide on either side but I will keep an eye on temps

Is there a way it will correct itself or do I need to make a vet visit?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
UPDATE!!! She is doing a lot better haven't heard a squeaking noise since that night, her temps with 2/3s covered warm side 90 mid 85 and cool side 78. She seems to be doing a lot better will try and feed her a live rat pup tomorrow and hopefully she will eat

Status
Not open for further replies.