Bad care sulcata

fredix

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi,

So my friend have sulcata that now under my care(he gave me) because initially he bought that for his kids and now that sulcata seems ini the bad condition. The sulcata is under my care since 3 days ago.
So,this is the summary of his condition:
1. The sulcata missing 2 of his nails in the front right of his legs. He said he dont notice it missing.
2.the sulcata rarely move.
3.the sulcata only eat a little of my mazuri pellets.he dont interest in eating greens!
4. Approximally the sulcata has bought 3-4 months ago, and my friend said not growing. I have measure it,and the result is 5.5cm. I think the sulcata really not growing! I have 1 sulcata before and when i bought it,i think i got the 5.5cm too. I dont have scale to check its weight.
5. I have read tom's caresheet and already implement the enclosure setup.
6. I soaks the sulcata twice a day because of inactive sulcata.
The main questions is, how to make the the sulcata recovers quickly?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The quickest way is to do what you are doing. Get the proper care, enclosure, heat, lights, soaks daily. That's the best you can do for him. They don't do much fast but that's what it needs.

fredix

Indonesia
The quickest way is to do what you are doing. Get the proper care, enclosure, heat, lights, soaks daily. That's the best you can do for him. They don't do much fast but that's what it needs.
Okey, and then how about his nail? Can sulcata grow it back? I really dont have idea is the sulcata missing the finger or the nails. Is that the reason sulcata avoid the greens?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's not likely the reason for not eating greens. But to add more safe food items, like greens, chop them up and smear some soaked mazuri on them. As he gets used to eating this, then slowly eliminate the mazuri being on the greens.
I'm not really sure if the nail will grow back. Post a pic of the missing nail area.

fredix

Indonesia
That's not likely the reason for not eating greens. But to add more safe food items, like greens, chop them up and smear some soaked mazuri on them. As he gets used to eating this, then slowly eliminate the mazuri being on the greens.
I'm not really sure if the nail will grow back. Post a pic of the missing nail area.
Okey, i will take the pic tommorow as in my place already 20:40 PM.thanks wellington

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Please post pictures of the tortoise including the missing nails, face, legs and neck. It sounds like you may have another tortoise? If so, do not let this new tortoise come in contact with it.

fredix

Indonesia
Please post pictures of the tortoise including the missing nails, face, legs and neck. It sounds like you may have another tortoise? If so, do not let this new tortoise come in contact with it.
Hi,wait let me check my tortoise first as wellington request it too. Yep,i have seperate my first tortoise as in forum state not housing 2 tortoise at same place.

fredix

Indonesia
Hi,wait let me check my tortoise first as wellington request it too. Yep,i have seperate my first tortoise as in forum state not housing 2 tortoise at same place.

fredix

Indonesia
This is as far as i can take picture of the tortoise,it seems it is already night and i cant take the full picture of the neck,legs,etc. @wellington @dd33

Attachments

• 20230922_204728.jpg
    20230922_204728.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230922_204721.jpg
    20230922_204721.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230922_204636.jpg
    20230922_204636.jpg
    928 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230922_204620.jpg
    20230922_204620.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
This missing nails, leg scales and the appearance of the face make me think that this tortoise might have Austwickia. You need to look for the yellow spots on his softer skin around the neck and arm pit areas.

You can read a lot about Austwickia here on the forum, this is one of the most recent threads:

Hopefully it isn't the case and I may be jumping to conclusions but this is a common problem in Sulcatas now and we have seen forum members from Indonesia with this disease.

Don't contaminate anything that will come in contact with your other tortoise including food, dishes, soaking containers, the sink, anything. . .

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Please try to do everything that is advised on this site, as these people here are the very best

If the tortoise is not very ill with a serious disease, this is the best chance he will have to make a full recovery!

Try to post some clearer pictures when you are able. Good luck and thanks for trying to help this little tortoise!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This missing nails, leg scales and the appearance of the face make me think that this tortoise might have Austwickia. You need to look for the yellow spots on his softer skin around the neck and arm pit areas.

You can read a lot about Austwickia here on the forum, this is one of the most recent threads:

Hopefully it isn't the case and I may be jumping to conclusions but this is a common problem in Sulcatas now and we have seen forum members from Indonesia with this disease.

Don't contaminate anything that will come in contact with your other tortoise including food, dishes, soaking containers, the sink, anything. . .
That is what I was thinking too...hope not!

fredix

Indonesia
Hi,

I will take a photos the neck tommorow, video how he move(usually in the morning after soaking and feed in the sunbath). It's bad if what you are saying is true. If im not mistaken, amoxiciline is antibiotic that is not sell without doctor recipe. Everything is turning bad for me if the proper care cant heal the sulcata...

fredix

Indonesia
Okey, the substrate is mixed with previous substrate from my friend's. Then i should say, let throw away the substrate and dont think about humidity right now. What do you think for the first step?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Hopefully it is not Austwickia. I am certainly not qualified to make a diagnosis.
The post that I linked to makes an antibiotic suggestion. Proper care alone will not heal it. I believe there is one other person on the forum who had a tortoise survive it.

If it were me I would not risk your healthy tortoise. I am sure that others on the forum would disagree with me but I would give the tortoise back to the person you got it from, discard the enclosure and everything the tortoise touched and you touched after handling the tortoise and move on.

fredix

Indonesia
Little update,i have browsing Austwickia, and i can confirm there is a bump in his neck. I m 100% sure, because i think that is the fungal infection cause by bad care.

fredix

Indonesia
Hopefully it is not Austwickia. I am certainly not qualified to make a diagnosis.
The post that I linked to makes an antibiotic suggestion. Proper care alone will not heal it. I believe there is one other person on the forum who had a tortoise survive it.

If it were me I would not risk your healthy tortoise. I am sure that others on the forum would disagree with me but I would give the tortoise back to the person you got it from, discard the enclosure and everything the tortoise touched and you touched after handling the tortoise and move on.
Okey, let isolate the sick tortoise. I would prefer to keep it as long as the bacteria is not dangerous for human. I would throw away substrate and build and simple enclosure

fredix

Indonesia
The symtomp is very very similiar,and the cure is not easy and still experimental.the fall of the nail, i think the tortoise is sick for a long time. I would try to feed him and care him until he passed away,and hopefully recover. I would remove his substrate tommorow, and create the enclosure blank with 1 hideout.

fredix

Indonesia
amox.png

update : i will start a treatment using amoxicilin as suggested start tommorow