Backyard Wildlife

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
This is probably the most active Spring in regards to wildlife in my yard. Momma DSC_0102.JPG DSC_0103.JPG Dove is hatching her 2nd batch of eggs. 2 Desert Iguanas were "playing" in the yard next door. Say's Phoebe has two growing babies in her usual nest on a pillar of our front porch. Momma and Baby Cottontails are bounding through the back yard. Lizards and Geckos are out and about. Quail are nesting somewhere in the backyard. Hummingbird feeders need filling every other day. Orioles and Sparrows are drinking from the feeders, we've just had a few 102 and 103 deg days. Tastes of summer temps mixed with Spring are really getting the wildlife out and about. Really enjoying watching them and taking oodles of pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0884.JPG
    IMG_0884.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 46

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, nice pics. I would love to,have lizards wild in my yard. The one in the pic is really cute. Can't believe the Sove just sits there while you pet it. Nice, really nice.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I've taken so many pics of Momma Dove on her nest over the past few weeks, she's gotten used to me. This time I was an inch away with my iphone camera and decided she was calm enough I could try to pet her. LOL I couldn't believe she stayed a bit for a pet. Guessing she was protecting her eggs which were about to hatch, because the next day... Today, I got a great pic of her very new hatchling. I've named the baby Dove "Phyllis", the other will be "Dillar". LOL sort of the same hair style don't ya' think? IMG_0902.JPG

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have 5 hummingbird nests in my backyard they are the cutest things ever :) it's a lot of fun to watch the mommas go back n forth.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I had a couple dove come to my porch to nest and lay eggs. we watching the young's to learn fly and finally flyaway. It is very interesting, grateful anf thankful to watch the life continue.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
The hummingbirds are my favorite! I have 4 feeders and get about 20 Hummingbirds during migration season. Typically, have around 8 that stay here year round. I buy sugar by the 25 pound bag and it lasts about 3 months, that's a whole lot of sugar water for the hummingbirds. I really am tickled to watch all the wildlife and so many pictures (almost as many as my Grand kids, LOL).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a pair of phoebes right above my back door. I just love watching those little guys. Last year they built their nest in that spot, and now this year the nest looks like two nests joined together. Because its up so high I never get to see the eggs or babies. But I love having them there.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
This nest is on top of a pillar, I have a chair just below that I climb up to get the pics. The Iphone makes it easy to reach up and snap some decent pics.IMG_0791.JPG The Say's Phoebe or the original's babies, come back and nest year after year (over the past 16 years) at my front door. It's good and protected, but you'd think they'd find another spot that has less human traffic, not be mention a crazed women with a camera! LOL So many pictures, I even have a few of them saying "CHEESE".

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have 5 hummingbird nests in my backyard they are the cutest things ever :) it's a lot of fun to watch the mommas go back n forth.

Dang talk about making me green with envy! Our hummingbirds and orioles have not yet shown up even.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yvonne, One year, I tried to discourage nest building and put a pot with an artificial plant in it on top of that pillar. The Phoebe took the silk plant out and built her nest in the pot! I give, go ahead and build your darn nest, but don't mess up a good pot! LOL

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Jaqui; The hummingbirds and orioles (not as many babies as last year, but there are still a bunch) should be heading North in just a couple more weeks when our temps get to 110 Degs wildlife starts heading to slightly cooler temps. Our temps have been between 80 and 103 Degs for the last several weeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne, One year, I tried to discourage nest building and put a pot with an artificial plant in it on top of that pillar. The Phoebe took the silk plant out and built her nest in the pot! I give, go ahead and build your darn nest, but don't mess up a good pot! LOL

That's pretty funny! I think mine are Western Phoebes. They built a nest with mud, adding bits of hair and other stuff to it. There are a couple of really long horse tail hairs hanging down from the nest. Every time I open the back door they fly out and land on the electric wire in the back yard, and sit their and cheep at me. It's not a scolding type of chirping, but rather sort of like begging. But I don't know what to offer them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow...you must have a pretty nice camera. I have a few hummers around, but have never seen a nest.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hmmm, I'll have to look up a Western Phoebe. I know Say's Phoebe eat's bugs, mostly crickets and grass hoppers. Before you ask, lol, yes, I have set out a couple of crickets for her and yes, she did swoop them up. But my crickets are for my Boxies, so she'll just have to hunt.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
OH Hang on, you want Hummingbird nest? I have my favorite here somewhere, her name is "Ma Bell, and her babies are Ding and Dong" she built her nest in a Wind chime full of Bells. I had a blast taking pics!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Amazing. Hope you take and share photos of baby hummingbirds once they hatch

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Only crazy animals come to my house! LOL Ma Bell was definitely my FAVORITE!