Back legs drag

Smithkirsten66

Location (City and/or State)
Waveland MS
I found a little box turtle nomore than a year or 2 old in my ditch one day when weed eating (i live in mississippi), upon observation i noticed it could not move itself & was stuck. I decided to try & house it until it got better. It drags itself with its front legs & just lets the back legs drag. I figured it was constipation, so i fed it, gave it vitamins & calcium & it didnt seem to have an appetite much. It pooped & peed but still drags its legs. I massage its legs when it lets me. They seem weak. Could this be from it being stuck in a ditch with limited food supply? Will it ever get better? Is this a common issue in the box turtle species? I have it in a rubbermaid bin with coco bedding, shagnum moss and repti bark, a tree hide, a tiny plate with water so it can easily get in, a plant pot & a few fake plants. Everything is easy for him to get around and easy for him to walk as he faces many challenges & its much more difficult. Is there anything i should do differently? Pictured below was the tank he was in the first day i found him until i went and got the supplies for his home he is in now. Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated! You all really know your stuff & the advice means the world to me!

Attachments

• 20240324_183539.jpg
    20240324_183539.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I found a little box turtle nomore than a year or 2 old in my ditch one day when weed eating (i live in mississippi), upon observation i noticed it could not move itself & was stuck. I decided to try & house it until it got better. It drags itself with its front legs & just lets the back legs drag. I figured it was constipation, so i fed it, gave it vitamins & calcium & it didnt seem to have an appetite much. It pooped & peed but still drags its legs. I massage its legs when it lets me. They seem weak. Could this be from it being stuck in a ditch with limited food supply? Will it ever get better? Is this a common issue in the box turtle species? I have it in a rubbermaid bin with coco bedding, shagnum moss and repti bark, a tree hide, a tiny plate with water so it can easily get in, a plant pot & a few fake plants. Everything is easy for him to get around and easy for him to walk as he faces many challenges & its much more difficult. Is there anything i should do differently? Pictured below was the tank he was in the first day i found him until i went and got the supplies for his home he is in now. Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated! You all really know your stuff & the advice means the world to me!
I find box turtles in ditches all the times. They are closely related to aquatic turtles, so they eat similar food sources like some of the aquatic vegetation, fish , and crayfish.

The reason it could be dragging its back legs is some kind of intestinal issue/impaction. Try giving him a warm soak once everyday in water that is about 80 degrees.

Make sure he has a warm basking spot of about 90 and have a place to retreat. You could even keep him in an inch of shallow water. He could have potentially sought the water out to relieve himself. Good thing you said that he pooped, just give him a few days.

Smithkirsten66

Waveland MS
May be a female with eggs stuck. Find a vet.
Box turtles arent ready to breed until about 8-12. This box turtle is still a baby. I spoke to a rescue as the vets in my area wont see a turtle especially a wild one, and the rescue is not operating fully due to the temporary closing due to the owner having cancer (bless her). We believe its due to malnutrition & lack of sunlight & water leading to muscle weakness & poor tone. Theres no definite diagnosis as we did no xrays. I put the turtle in water & it used all legs. Its starting to eat more & getting sunlight all day everyday for this little guy. It pushes with its back legs, just wont steadily walk to them. Its in no visible pain & no swelling, redness or any signs of injury. I think its going to be alright, just glad i found it before the flood as it was stuck in a spot in the ditch & couldnt move when found. Thank you.