HELP !! Injured Box Turtle Hatchling??

ReBecca Nicole

Yesterday while cleaning up getting ready to cut the grass in the back yard my boyfriend found 2 hatchling Box Turtles. in order to make sure they did not get hurt I made them a nice place to hang out until he was done with all intentions of releasing once he completed the yard work. Well that was until I noticed one of them kept getting stuck and was only using his front legs. I can see the tail and the back feet when I look at it from the back(the tail is like tucked around into the shell and the legs are just visible enough where I can see the bottom of the feet and the claws) and they move if I touch them. I do not want to release it if it does not have use of its back legs. Is it normal for Hatchlings to not have use of their back legs in the beginning or do some just get the hang of walking quicker than others?? Will he eventually start using the back legs? is it a good sign that he like sucks them further in if I touch them ?
Hopefully this makes sense and someone would be able to give me some advice. I thank you in advance:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
It definitely should have use of its legs. Do you have any pictures you can post?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try putting them into a bowl of water too deep for them to touch the bottom and see if he brings his legs out to swim.

ReBecca Nicole

Yvonne I did not get your suggestion until this morning so I will try that when I get home today. The legs came out yest evening and the tail but he/she just drags them behind him .. and if I touch them he/she retracts the legs back into the shell so I know it can move them I just don't know why they are not being used :( ..but I did take pics and a video of it walking .. and what it looks like when he has it out of the shell and its being dragged.. I also do not want if it is dragging its leg for the legs to get hurt from the pressure of the weight of it (even though it weighs very little on those tiny legs its probably a lot) I hope I am making sense, I just want to be able to help them and it would break my heart if something happened..and it will not allow me to upload the video :(

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpg
    IMG_1352.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 39

ReBecca Nicole

Man the quality is defiantly dif when watching it on my phone ..and it is short only like 5-6 seconds but you can still see him walking
also here is a pic of him rying to get up a little incline and of it just sitting there with his leg sticking out ..I will try What Yvonne suggested also , I just have no experience with injured turtles or Little baby turtles , so Andy suggestions on what it could be or how I can help , I will be back on tomorrow with updates and probably more questions if anyone is willing to still help me

Attachments

• Leg.jpg
    Leg.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Turtle.jpg
    Turtle.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 21

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello Rebecca and welcome! I have 2 cents to my name so I will give them both to you:) Its hard to tell with the pictures and without blood work, but it is known that a virus or infection can cause temporary paralysis in the hind legs in box turtles. The legs appear a bit swollen but then again its just an eyeball interpretation. Obviously if this little one isn't using its hind legs there most likely is an internal abnormality issue and should be seen by one of your states animal rescues. If its wild the cost burden won't be on your hands and they will release it back at its location or keep it on site at their facility once in good health. I also agree with Yvonne and give it a good soak forcing it to move its legs. I hope this is just temporary and wish you the best of luck!

ReBecca Nicole

Hello Rebecca and welcome! I have 2 cents to my name so I will give them both to you:) Its hard to tell with the pictures and without blood work, but it is known that a virus or infection can cause temporary paralysis in the hind legs in box turtles. The legs appear a bit swollen but then again its just an eyeball interpretation. Obviously if this little one isn't using its hind legs there most likely is an internal abnormality issue and should be seen by one of your states animal rescues. If its wild the cost burden won't be on your hands and they will release it back at its location or keep it on site at their facility once in good health. I also agree with Yvonne and give it a good soak forcing it to move its legs. I hope this is just temporary and wish you the best of luck!

THANK YOU !! I will defiantly post an update tomorrow after I try a few things, I will also try to find a local wild life rescue , because I do not even know of any vets who would see a turtle in my area... they wouldn't even see a squirt that I fount that had been attacked by a stray cat and broke its arm (sidetracked easily sorry ) but I REALLY appreciate every ones input and advice!!!

ReBecca Nicole

So I Put (I think its a her now from everything I have researched) but I did put her in the water .. her legs come all the way out and she can move them in and out and all that but just does not walk with them .... im going to be calling the dept of Natural resources and trying to see if I can get her into a place that can help her better than I can. I thank all of you for your advice and help it is very much appreciated

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Let us know how it goes with the little one if they give you updates? Also it's impossible to sex hatchlings and yearlings, no one will be able to tell for some years if she is male or female.

Tatjana

Hello. My story is almost identical. My husband found a little Eastern Box turtle hatchling in our yard. Her legs (we think it's a she) are functional but she is not using them She drags herself with the front legs. I sat her on carpet and she used them a tiny little bit. I gave her a soak and she stretches the out but does not really use them to swim. I am on my way to the store to get vitamins and cod liver oil? I would love to hear the outcome of ReBecca's story....