Baby tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

coledoug

5 Year Member
I have 2 baby Russian tortoises and they sleep a lot. Is this a good thing or bad? I live in pa and my older tortoise who is about 7 inches long and is outside day and night. Can I cut off a part of a section and put a closed enclosure in it. The can I put my 2 baby torts in there?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Baby tortoises like baby humans do sleep a lot. They need to be kept warm and humid, so a separate enclosure indoors would be better for them.

As they grow older, expect them to start to disagree about sharing. You may have to split them completely.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
On really warm days, 80 or above I would put them outside for some natural sunshine. Be sure they have shade to get into as well. Sun is always better then the fake lighting. I would not leave them out during the night. Also do not put them in with your older one, make them a separate enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. Babies do sleep quite a lot.

I would be great if you sectioned off a part of the outdoor enclosure and put a wire cover of some sort over it for the babies. Natural sun, grazing and exercise are really good for them. Even better would be to give each baby it's own space, so they don't feel the need to compete with each other or fight. Groups usually do okay, but pairs can very problematic sometimes.

Just watch those temps outside. Make sure there is adequate shade and cover at all times for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.