Baby Sulcata Won't Soak

CourtneyC

Location (City and/or State)
West TN
If this is addressed elsewhere please post the link. I searched the topic and didn't find anything.

My sulcata was estimated 4-6 mos old when I got him in February. I soak him everyday, and up until recently he would stay in the water, drink in quite a bit, pee/poop and then get out. Every time, same thing. Usually about a 5 minute routine. I also mist his enclosure twice a day and the humidity stays around 50%.

For about a week now every time I put him in his dish he immediately gets out. Doesn't drink and doesn't defecate. I am a worry-wart so I put water in a dish too big for him to climb out of and set him in it and he immediately started trying to get out (walking the perimeter and pawing at the walls & didn't stop to drink or anything) so I felt like I was torturing him and took him out.

He's still eating a ton like normal and he is pretty active during certain times of day. Is this okay? Should I be worried? Is he constipated? Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're supposed to soak them in something they can't climb out of.

CourtneyC

West TN
I suppose I'll have to put him in there and just walk away because he looked so sad trying to escape.

But I'm just worried because he used to seem to enjoy it and would immediately begin drinking and now he could care less and I haven't seen him use the bathroom in days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Setting the tortoise in its shallow water dish is not "soaking".

To soak use a tall side opaque tub with shallow warm water and leave them in there for 20-40 minutes. Makes sure the water stays warm and refresh it as needed.

Don't worry about the climbing and pacing. This is normal, its good exercise and it helps keep things moving in the GI tract. All of them get used to this routine over time. I've had a few russian adults that really didn't like it, but even they got used to it in a few weeks time, and its good for them. I soak my hatchling sulcatas literally every day from the day they hatch and they are totally at ease with the process. Not coincidentally, 100% of my hatchlings survive and thrive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I suppose I'll have to put him in there and just walk away because he looked so sad trying to escape.

Try not to use too much human emotion with a reptile. He's not sad. He's just purposefully looking for a way out of this puddle. In time he'll get used to the "inescapable puddle" routine. At that point you can tell yourself he's "happy". :)