1 year old afr spur going outside for the 1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.

robeaux

5 Year Member
Hello, my name is Robeaux, and I live in New Orleans, and have a 1 year old African Spur, "Voo Doo"., How many hours a day should I start him out?

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
If there is substantial hiding spots for him outside, I would just put him out for as long as I can as soon as I can.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I was putting mine out at 3 months for a good 5 - 6 hours a day...make sure they have adequate hides and keep spraying them! Humidity is the key!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. New Orleans is a great place for them. I saw several super smooth healthy ones while I was there. I agree with the fellas above. Make sure he always has some shade and stick him out in that warm humid air for some sun and exercise. Make the enclosure as big as you can, but still safe. Watch out for neighbors dogs or natural predators too. I like them to get at least an hour or two a day, but if you are sure its safe, more is even better.

Consider an underground shelter or burrow to help him escape that summer heat. Here's a care sheet I made with all sorts of info that you might find helpful.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1GXiz1bYa

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
onarock said:
If there is substantial hiding spots for him outside, I would just put him out for as long as I can as soon as I can.
I 2nd that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Robeaux: Welcome to the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.