Baby sulcata and his new tortoise table

KODY CORDUAN

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
No I am happy to get your insight. So if I were to cover the majority of the top, with plexy glass and remove the moss I would have a solution?

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
UV rays don't go through plexy glass !
In light of this however, Grandpa Turtle, what are your thoughts on giving them 30 minutes in the sun 3 or 4 times a week and not using any uvb in the terrarium? I have heard mixed opinions on this.. as with anything reptile related!! ... but with iguanas I have seen this to provide quite sufficient requirements for strong bones as long as proper nutritious is considered. The argument for iguanas is that they bask all day and that limited amount of time is insufficient; however, with sulcatas burrowing for the first 4 years or so, it seems that this would be an excellent way of providing for their needs. Any thoughts?

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
Hello and welcome.

Read those threads ASAP. Babies have a small margin of error. Your baby doesn't have time for you to figure this all out. Most of the info out in the world for this species is wrong and based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions of how they live in the wild. It sounds like you are on the right track with daily soaks and a humid hide, but tortoise tables and red bulbs are not the way to go. You need white light for basking during the day, and a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain a warm ambient temp day and night. Its all explained in the care sheet.
Ok his lighting is set up and on a timer. Now to figure out how to cover this thing to keep it humid!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Personally, i believe this would be adequate, I've even read some who say just once or twice a week in bright sun is adequate.
Like you say, different opinions, but I'm pretty sure a few hours a week is ample.

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
Yeah, I've never trusted the bulbs much anyways.. I use them in the winter when there is just not enough adequate sunlight, but I'm never confident in mankind's ability to truly replicate nature!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, I've never trusted the bulbs much anyways.. I use them in the winter when there is just not enough adequate sunlight, but I'm never confident in mankind's ability to truly replicate nature!
Quite.
I use a bulb for the two to three months of cold wet weather we get, but otherwise the sun is easily enough.

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
Well that makes it much easier to enclose the tortoise table I built then. I love that it is necessity for me to take him outside for 30 min or say several times a week.. good excuse for some down time. Today he even decided he'd try a bit of my lawn.. which is fantastic considering the breeder said he prefers romaine lettuce :eek: I'll be off to get dandelion greens tomorrow to add to the collard green/ grass mix he's enjoying.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
In light of this however, Grandpa Turtle, what are your thoughts on giving them 30 minutes in the sun 3 or 4 times a week and not using any uvb in the terrarium? I have heard mixed opinions on this.. as with anything reptile related!! ... but with iguanas I have seen this to provide quite sufficient requirements for strong bones as long as proper nutritious is considered. The argument for iguanas is that they bask all day and that limited amount of time is insufficient; however, with sulcatas burrowing for the first 4 years or so, it seems that this would be an excellent way of providing for their needs. Any thoughts?
I had tortsfor 17 years ! I have leopards , marginals, Russians , Greeks, Hermanns, AZ desert torts , and box turtles, pancakes ,and Egyptians. But I believe torts should be outside and no short cuts . So I'm a bad person to ask . Because my torts are like my children .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No I am happy to get your insight. So if I were to cover the majority of the top, with plexy glass and remove the moss I would have a solution?

That might work. Only your thermometer and hygrometer can answer that.

30 minutes of access to sun 3-4 times a week will satisfy the babies UV needs, but there is no harm in running the indoor bulb too. Use an enclosure outdoors. Don't let him run loose in the yard. And don't trust any dogs around him. Down at post number 8 of this thread, I show a few simple ways to do this for a baby.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosures.121732/

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
I had tortsfor 17 years ! I have leopards , marginals, Russians , Greeks, Hermanns, AZ desert torts , and box turtles, pancakes ,and Egyptians. But I believe torts should be outside and no short cuts . So I'm a bad person to ask . Because my torts are like my children .
Ha well that sounds like your the one to ask then!! I will definitely be making sure his uv needs are fulfilled by the sun! Thanks for the input.

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
That might work. Only your thermometer and hygrometer can answer that.

30 minutes of access to sun 3-4 times a week will satisfy the babies UV needs, but there is no harm in running the indoor bulb too. Use an enclosure outdoors. Don't let him run loose in the yard. And don't trust any dogs around him. Down at post number 8 of this thread, I show a few simple ways to do this for a baby.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosures.121732/
Yes, I saw the pictures of the baby pins, great idea. For now I just go sit with him, I've got a nice raised area of my lawn that enclosed with a fence on three sides and a block wall on the other, though I won't be taking my eyes off him still. No dogs. I definitely have seen my share of damage from working at a wildlife rescue. Alright, I will head over and get some plexy glass and hinges today!