Transitioning 4 year old desert tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Welcome! He is a looker! Congrats on adopting.

KellysTort

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,

I got one of those weather monitors with a 2 different sensors, and you were right. My tall enclosure is creating too much heat. On a 80 degree day it was 96 (!!) inside the enclosure and almost 90 in the wood hide. I am going to cut the sides down by half. I'm still struggling with solving the burrow issue. Do you think I should try to do the half round more "natural" burrow route? I'm just wondering if it is going to be warm enough? I'm about 20 minutes from the coast and our nites can be in the upper 40's / lower 50's? I definitely can build something as extensive as you did, but I'm thinking a couple half round buckets with tons of dirt piled all around it. What do you think? and thank you for your help.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There are a variety of hides you can set up...here are a few styles that I have here for some of the CDTs....the half dome appears to be a popular shape that they take to...I have half barrels ....and 100 year old concrete half pipes.....and the one that is the square dirt box was the funnest for me to make (this pic does not show the topping I used which was old metal street signs first to make sure water did not come in and then a couple layers of plywood and logs for looks....)

My point is I suppose, your imagination is the only limit....I think if you can do a half dome and cover it with 8+ inches of dirt all around it will give a good season of hide and bury and would suggest if you do what you described you make sure to place a bit of a dirt foundation that raises it a bit above grade....have fun :D

KellysTort

5 Year Member
thank you, these are great shots. i love the one with the logs. very creative!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kelly:

He's a beautiful tortoise, but I think they gave you the wrong poop. He's more like 8 or 10 years old. A two year old desert tortoise would fit in the palm of your hand...about 3" front to back.

KellysTort

5 Year Member
I know, it's really weird, all the records from the adoption center say he's 2.5 years old. They told me he is just big for his age. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.