Baby RF plastron indent?! Help!

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
uncooked frozen shrimp (cooked and cooled b/4 serving) is the most accepted form of protein I've found. Egg gets ignored more than shrimp and so does boiled chicken. I'd personally ALWAYS have a prepared cuttle bone available.. let your animal decide if it needs calcium.. as stated on any omnivore turtle/tortoise forum eventually: no one follows a solitary animal around for an entire calendar year to see what their "proper" diet is, we make best guess assumptions. I'd personally be vigilant with that spot, I've lost a redfoot with one. I'd keep a cuttlebone available, provide SUPERVISED herbicide/pesticide free grazing as often as possible until temps make it impossible. Set up your winter enclosure now to continue D3 supplementation. It may be a normal indent but I've read more than once if it's pliable or moves when the tort breathes that is NOT the norm..

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I'm keeping an eye on it. And he always has a cuttlebone available. I've been wanting to take him out but our temps have been unseasonably cold! :/ Thank you for your response! I don't wanna lose my little guy.. And it doesn't move when he breathes or anything like that at least... He's not really soft, just still a little pliable. Definitely not spongey.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
When my redfoot was that age, I found it chasing down pill bugs AND it LOVED meal worms. I would say, don't overdo the meal worms, but that is another option.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
pill bugs! I've started 5 box turtle hatchlings on them (even grown some in an old aquarium)! easier to catch and will not "turn" on the turtles in their sleep like crickets have been rumored to do. PLUS if you've ever used crickets in an indoor enclosure and you're a light sleeper... those buggers are LOUD