Lillers

Location (City and/or State)
SYCAMORE
Hi guys,

So I have a baby redfoot tortoise that we've approximated is just around 9 months old. I'm a relatively new tortoise owner, I've only had him for about 7 months now. Recently I noticed a clicking noise when he (idk the gender yet but I say he) would eat, and I realized it was his top beak hitting his bottom beak.

I've been feeding him on a small terracotta dish since I got him hoping he'd file his beak down when he ate, and there's also cuttle fish bones in the enclosure for him to chew at.

I'm wondering from you experienced redfoot keepers, is this a cause for concern? I did some research and I keep finding stuff for filing beaks down but it seems very invasive for a baby tortoise, and maybe this is just because he's young and still has a sharp beak from hatching?

Today when I fed him I chopped up his food a little finer and spread it out so it was closer to the dish, since before I think he was getting away with just munching on larger pieces and never touching the dish.

What are your thoughts? Here's a zoomed in picture of his mouth. I can try and get a better picture if needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-120951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220202-120951_Gallery.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its probably not needed to cut most items up and I see nothing particularly unusual.
Rough surfaces in the enclosure such as flat cement pads usually do 100% of the beak and nail maintenance