baby questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hey guys, im going to be getting a baby russian in a couple weeks, and was just wondering if there is any extra care that comes along with hatchlings. i heard they need a little extra humidity, so would i have to keep his substrate damp or make a humid hide? also, would a mega ray uvb/basking bulb be okay to use?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
The light should be fine as long as you follow the normal things with it, such as it's a correct distance away, not on at night, the baby has a place to escape from the light, the enclosure is big enough, ect..,

I keep my substrate damp for all my Russians. A himid hide is good too. Offer him the ability to have a couple of locations to go to and keeep them slightly different in humidity for example.

With babies you need to watch water bowls as they often flip in them it seems. I soak the babies almost daily. Food needs to be cut up fine for them. I pick out on the freshest, youngest leaves/blooms. Having a good diet is especially important for them. Also adding the calcium supplements or some do the Vitasol (sp?) bird vitamin drops in the water.

Watch things like hide logs, because babies will climb and then end up falling off onto their backs. Not good if this happens under a heat lamp.

Just remember they have very small bodies, so it take less environmental change to cause problems. Nature made them hardier then we often give them credit for.

Congrats on the pending new arrival! Will we get to see lots and lots of proud "parent" pictures?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I would suggest the hide have perpendicular sides and soaking/wading dish be only as deep as where the carapace meets pastrom seam while legs withdrawn.

cali

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sweet, thanks guys. i think i have everything down, ill definatly be posting pictures when i get him!

Status
Not open for further replies.