Coco coir

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I've heard almost everybody uses coco coir for substrate for there torts , I was wondering if this is okay for Russian tortoises it seems to be a bit to humid for them I don't want to make it damp but I do understand they do need some humidity ...

Sandy then Russian tort <3

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I like coco coir because it is easy for them to dig in and mold resistant so it will stay clean for you (as long as you are doing daily spot cleans). It is ok to use it for russians too, the reason it helps the humidity is because it holds moisture very well, if you don't soak it too often then it will dry out and you can get it to the humidity level you want.

For my redfoots I mist daily and weekly I pour some water into the substrate and mix it around so I can keep it all moist and humid, for my russians I just mist it when its looking too dry or dusty, I very rarely pour water into the substrate so their coco is relatively dry.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
rocky1998 said:
I've heard almost everybody uses coco coir for substrate for there torts , I was wondering if this is okay for Russian tortoises it seems to be a bit to humid for them I don't want to make it damp but I do understand they do need some humidity ...

For my Russians, I use pure coco coir that is moist (not damp). It is a great substrate, because although they do well in dry to moderately humid air (20-60%), they need a moist substrate to provide them with a humid microclimate. Moistened coco coir (or soil) increases humidity by about 20% or more, and allows tortoises to prevent water loss when concealed. That's how arid land tortoises survive in dry climates: by staying underground where it is more humid.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
GeoTerraTestudo said:
rocky1998 said:

For my Russians, I use pure coco coir that is moist (not damp). It is a great substrate, because although they do well in dry to moderately humid air (20-60%), they need a moist substrate to provide them with a humid microclimate. Moistened coco coir (or soil) increases humidity by about 20% or more, and allows tortoises to prevent water loss when concealed. That's how arid land tortoises survive in dry climates: by staying underground where it is more humid.
I understand that it comes in a brick like form... And all you is add water and it absorbs into the substrate how much water would be needed for a Russian ?

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
After you soak it, while moving it from the bucket/bag into the enclosure squeeze the water out of it, so that it isn't dripping anymore but still moist. That is what I do anyway.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
rocky1998 said:
I understand that it comes in a brick like form... And all you is add water and it absorbs into the substrate how much water would be needed for a Russian?

It's the same for all tortoises. Just follow the directions on the package, which say to add a gallon of water per brick of compressed coco coir (if memory serves). The idea is to have coco coir that is moist but not damp or soggy. It's normal for the top few millimeters to dry out in about an hour, but the subsurface layers should stay moist for weeks. When you see that the substrate is losing its moisture, just pour a little more water in and mix it up with your hands. Voila! Moist, clean substrate for your tortoise. :)

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
That's it! It's time I make a trip to the store and pick up a brick or 2 ... They sound great ... Are you sure the Russians wouldn't find them a small bit too moist ? I do have a plant sprayer that I will fill with water and mist the substrate and mix it till its a bit more moist but not too moist. ? Is this okay ?

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
rocky1998 said:
That's it! It's time I make a trip to the store and pick up a brick or 2 ... They sound great ... Are you sure the Russians wouldn't find them a small bit too moist ? I do have a plant sprayer that I will fill with water and mist the substrate and mix it till its a bit more moist but not too moist. ? Is this okay ?

Yep ... it will be as moist as you make it. When the coco coir is in compressed brick form, just add a gallon of water and wait half and hour. The brick will absorb the water and disintegrate, leaving a nice, moist coco coir for your substrate. After that, you'll notice that if the coir is dry, it will be lighter in color, while if it's too wet, it will be shiny. The idea is to add enough water to make it dark but not shiny (again, the surface might dry out, but as long as it's moist below the surface, that's what matters).

Making the coir moist like that will make it feel like real soil, which your tortoises naturally live on and dig through in the wild. The only reason I don't use real soil is that I've found that, as an indoor substrate, the little critters that naturally live in it (fungi, insects) blossom out of control and become pests. Soil is alive, which is great outside, but in my opinion, not so great inside. Coco coir stays cleaner because it's not as fertile. :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The coir is ideal for Russians and many other tortoises. Your basking lamp will dry out the top layer very quickly. I add water to one area one day and another area the next day and a little water added to the basking area each day. This way you're giving the tort his choice of how damp a substrate he wishes.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.